Metal object in oil pan--how bad is this?

Started by pullshocks, February 24, 2008, 04:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

Pull, I took the right engine case into the shop and tossed it into the gunk tank  and washed it all up.
What I found was, there's  are movable baffle  in the bottom of the engine /oil reservoir. Its behind the clutch  at the bottom. it is the size of 2/3rds of a credit card  and has a 3 inch (approx.) tang sticking out of it,  with a clip on the end . The baffle has 3 clips on top . It sits vertically and all the clips hold it  in place .
The 3 inch tang has broken off .  Tomorrow I'll try to remove the baffle from the clutch side , to see if you might get the remains out, with out splitting the case's  and install the new one the same way. I'll donate one to your cause .
Also , tomorrow I'll take a pic of i,t so you can understand what I'm babbling about.
The existing one may stay in place  forever or fall out and jam the gear box or clutch  at  any moment.
Sorry to bring such bad news.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pullshocks

Thanks Rick.  The credit card piece is still there, I think.  I can stick my magnet probe in the drain hole, and feel it stick to something, and since the case is aluminum, it must be the baffle.

From the manual, it looks like if I pull the right side cover off and remove the clutch, I can get the baffle in and out.  Worth a shot, because pulling the engine out and apart looks like a huuuuuuuuge job.

Rick G

Its not that big of a job to pull the engine out of the frame and tear it down , but it is  a real big job  to put it all back togather again,so it will work!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pullshocks

Wellll.....it would make it a lot easier to adjust the valves....

Rick G

I have a low thresh hold of frustration when it comes to mechanical things (mostly in the area of access  to things that need to be adjusted, or repaired)  so , I drop the vision engine , part way out to adjust the valves .
Disconnect the cooling system  and exhaust  and pull the carbs .Use a jack to lower the engine  down until  you can get at the rear  valve cover .  sounds like a lot of work , but after  doing it several ways  , I'm much happier with the end result,  when I can see what the h**l I'm doing and can actually  have room for my oversized , arthritic hands  to work.(size 22 ring)
Rick G

Rick G

Pull shocks  I have the pics , You don't have a email address listed , if you pm  me as to what it is I'll send you a pic. . You should be able to remove the old baffle and replace it , by removing the clutch . The shift drum may be slightly in the way  , but I was able to remove and replace the baffle  from the right side  fairly easily.
Rick G

motoracer8

On page 3-11 of the factory shop manual you will see a small sheet metal baffel, it will be below the clutch. It just snaps into place. You may have to remove the clutch to see it. It lives in a recess behind the shift drum selector. The crankshaft, and the gearset share the same area no baffels between them, but there are cast baffels between the crank/gearbox area and the sump. It could be that piece as it has acess to the sump.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Rick G

Pull has his new baffle and is girding his loins  for the job a head!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G

pullshocks

Thanks to Rick, I've got a nice intact oil baffle in my hands, and his personal guarantee   :o (well, more like cautious optimism)  that I can get it installed without tearing apart the engine.

I may not get to it this weekend though.  I've been kind of sick and the  weather is looking chilly.   I can work on the starter clutch bolts indoors this weekend and save a clutch pulling excitement for when I feel better.

pullshocks

Hats off to Rick G.  He suggested making a light to illuminate the oil pan from within with a little Mag Lite krypton bulb.  He was right.  It made it a lot easier to proceed with the job.

Here's the old and new baffles:

Here's what it looks like with the baffle out.  You can see the hole for the locater arm

Success!!!  It was a bit dicey getting the locater arm fully seated, but after trying a variety of tools, I got it pushed in.

The only thing that concerns me is that there is a bit of slop.  You can see how the lttle wing on the forward end rotates around.  The locater arm may have been bent out of square with the baffle plate.  What do you guys think?  Should I stress about this? Or heaven forbid, try to get it back out and tweak the locater arm?

Brian Moffet

Quote from: pullshocks on April 19, 2008, 10:43:11 PM
Hats off to Rick G.  He suggested making a light to illuminate the oil pan from within with a little Mag Lite krypton bulb.  He was right.  It made it a lot easier to proceed with the job.

Okay, didn't even know that existed! :-)

Rick G

I have the wreckage  of my first  rod failure, on the bench , right now .( your part came out of the second) I'll take a look and see how tight it fits, and report back .
Rick G

pullshocks

Rick--no need to follow up on this.  It ended up being pretty easy to get it back out, do a little bending and replace.  It seems reasonably tight now, and I'm going to start putting things back together.

Thanks for all your help on this most vexing repair.

YellowJacket!

That light is  a great little idea.  I have a pen light with a gooseneck extension thats about 3" long that would work for something like that.

What I really want to get is one of our disposable intubation scopes that anesthesia uses.  They are pretty hard to come by because they throw em in the "red bags" as soon as they are used and they are not used often...usually for people with very large necks or atypical vocal cords.  But, its about a 14" long fiber optic scope with a lightsource at one end and an eyepiece at the other.  Great for looking through amall holse in walls....um, looking into small spaces like the inside of a cylinder head without taking things apart.
Gonna hit up my anesthesia buddies to see if I can get my hands on a couple, sterilize them and put them into ROV circulation.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

67GTO

Hey, If your taking names I would like one :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Rick G

Hey Dave , how about one of those cameras , like the one they shoved up my butt , to look at the moon? :D :D :D ;D >:( >:( :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :P :P :P :P :P :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Rick G

pullshocks

Almost 3 months have gone by, but I finally got it back together and running right.  As Rick Derringer once said,
"Sho nuff rockin' now y'all, look at me!"

The new starter bolts and a tightened 46 mm nut (which is where this job started) have solved the knocking noise.

Kenny

I've snuck the 8mm boroscope from work into the earlier 82 I had,I can't remember what kind of gold I was looking for now though?!
                          Anythings Possible..
                                                      Ken S. 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92