"Exhaust Splitting"..Anyone ever heard of it?

Started by YellowJacket!, February 26, 2008, 10:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Was reading the April 08 edition of "Road Bike" and came across an article about how to squeeze a little extra HP out of an aftermarket set of pipes or stock headers by using something called "The Old Bolt Trick".
The article talks about drilling through the very end of your exhaust pipe and dropping a 1/4" bolt through and bolting it into place.  Apparently the trick disrupts the reversion wave and helps improve the flow of exhaust.
Now, here it is February and it is the April edition...(April fools??).  Don't know what happened to my January, Feb and March issues....

Anyway, was just wondering if that it a proven trick or just a trick.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Blake

you use that trick mainly for cruisers with straight pipes when your pipes are WAY too big.  all it does is retrict flow to a level that it SHOULD be at.  basically youre making up for a very poorly designed exhaust.

it works to a point. as i said, its basically just for huge straight pipes cruisers.  we definitely wouldnt get anything out of it.  I did it to my first set of headers i built for the vision as they were way to big (1.75" diameter) but i still wasnt able to get about 7k rpm because of the horrible flow.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

inanecathode

I dont think the stock vision exhaust s*** box collector box has any problems with restriction :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////