New purchase, need advise.

Started by Badbone88, March 10, 2008, 03:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badbone88

I just bought a late model 82' that is an 83 model based on what I have read here.  No fairing but has the 83' parts.  I bought it cheap but did not run. Former owner claims it ran before parking 2 years ago.  I changed the battery, would not fire. I removed carb, disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled and it fired, running fairly well.  Problem; after warming it up, I took for slow drive around the block testing shifts, brakes, lights and acceleration/deceleration.  The only issue seems to be a hesitation at lower RPM off idle with slight throttle. Once you give it more gas, it takes off.  No vibrations, no leaks, smooth idle; on choke and off choke.  The hesitation is really jerky.  I did mess with all adjustments, not knowing any better and running premium unleaded before I noticed the requirement for leaded.  I want this bike to be a dependable new addition to the family, please help.  It's black with gold stripes, kind of a Smokey and the Bandit theme.  I am looking forward to riding with summer coming and my wife and I not on a bike since before the kids.  Thanks!

Brian Moffet

You don't need leaded fuel. 

Sounds like you need to adjust the mixture a bit, and then resync the carbs.  I believe Lucky's site has detail on this.  http://www.xz550.com/carbindex.html

There is also an example of differences between early 82 and late 82 carbs.

Welcome, they're great bikes...

Brian

Tiger

:) Hi Badbone88 and welcome to the ROV family... 8) Where are you located ??? We may have someone close by to help you out...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Install an in line fuel filter BEFORE you touch the starter button again.  Search POR.  Install an inline fuel cut off valve.  Tell us the maintenance history of the bike to the best of your knowledge. Of critical importance is whether or not the starter clutch has been reattached and if the stator motor has be updated with the spring lip seal design.  How many miles on the bike?

When properly sorted out, the V is a great bike.  I've owned my '83 since '84.  Welcome to the group.

Question:  What prompted you to take a chance on the V?

Lucky

i don't think it's been mentioned before, but it makes sense:
if your going to use a cut-off valve, install it AFTER the filter...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

;D

QBS

I would think that it would be better to locate the cut off valve upstream of as many fuel line connections as possible so as to isolate and control as many leak sources as possible.

Badbone88

I would like to thank you all for commenting.  I am in Escalon, CA.  I'll get the mileage but I think it's around 36000.  The history is unknown but it's local and the guy I bought it from sold it for a friend of his stationed in Iraq, or so I was told.  It was clean and I figured, what the heck, all the parts were there and he was just finishing Law Enforcement training, so I figured he was ethical.

I have taken the carb apart twice.  no more carb bowl gaskets so I reused the last one with motoseal and it seems to work. I will put the in-line filter back on as I need to replace the fuel line anyway.  What's the point of the cut-off valve when the petcock in the ON position seems to cut off flow?  BTW what does "PRI" mean?  I assumed Primary.  Since posting, I have read other "carb" posts. I have completly flushed the carb and removed everything I felt ok with removing and used compressed air.  Aparently a stumble off idle seems a common issue. it happens with light throttle effort. heavy effort has no stumble.  Concerning the stator motor question and starter clutch being reattached, huh?  You're going to have to give some clues for that one my friend...

To answer the question about what attracted me to this model; I am attracted to limited production anything.  The features of the V twin with four valves, single rear adjustable shock, shaft drive, air assist forks with twin disks, amoung other features, at a cost of $500 and a clear title sold me.  I figured since it was garaged and not seized, it would be worth the chance.

I looked into to head in the intake valves with the carbs off and they looked clean, not new but no build-up.  After drving around the block, I fell in love with the sound.  I changed the plugs and checked voltage and all seemed good before I dug into the carb.  Since I am new at this again, any help would be great.  Last bike, besides small pit scooters was a Yamaha 650 Special I had to sell 17 years ago when my son was born!  Thanks for the assist!!!

QBS

Read "First ride..................." on the General Board to get my opinion on fuel cut off valves. "pri" is short for "Prime", a petcock position that flows full all the time regardless of engine vacume.  REALLY good to use to start the bike with, after the carbs have gone dry from the bike sitting for more than a week.  "On" position is engine vacume controlled fuel flow.  No vacume theoretically=no fuel flow.  V petcocks can be a source of real frustration.  Thus, my trust in inline fuel cut off valves.

Night Vision

Quote from: QBS on March 10, 2008, 07:59:14 PM
I would think that it would be better to locate the cut off valve upstream of as many fuel line connections as possible so as to isolate and control as many leak sources as possible.

I don't think it's that critical fore or aft the filter. I now have four junctions in the fuel line from the petcock to the carbs (2x shut off, 2x filter) and could see any leak .... I placed mine before the filter in case there was any junk from manufacturing within the unit. jmo
;D

motoracer8

Bad, I wrote alittle piece on how to set the accelerator pump, and the spray nozzles to overcome the off idle flat spot. You will probbaly find it in the old posts under carb probblems. Set the CO around 3 to 4% and it will run fine.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Lucky

the reason for putting the filter first is to prevent crud from blocking or scoring the shut-off valves sealing surfaces. the only leak source after the petcock is the carbs. there's no reason for a hose connection at the filter, fuel pump or tee to leak
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

ok, I'll buy that... now that I've filtered my shut off, I might change it around
;D

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on March 10, 2008, 09:36:41 PM
ok, I'll buy that... now that I've filtered my shut off, I might change it around

:) Ah hell, if the gas line loop is long enough, just add another one after the filter :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Badbone88

There seems to be allot of discussion with fuel line fliters.  Doesn't the factory filter work?  The manual I have says it's part of the petcock???  I checked the odometer, 21500 and some change.
Based on what I have read, the issue with the stumbling acceleration off idle with gradual throttle movement, seems to be a vacume or (still...) a carb cleaning issue, or a fuel petcock lever position, or an electrical issue, or a fuel spray pattern issue.  Wow, confusion...
I guess the best option is another set of gaskets (help), another cleaning, some tuning of the adjustments I am not supposed to be able to adjust, or an electrical stator thingymabob.  I can deal with the gaskets.  Cleaning, no problem (got that down) but the Pilot Screw adjuster is problematic as I don't know where they should be set.  Any ideas?  I'll check later.  Fellas, your responses are great.  I'm learning and won't give up...

Night Vision

Quote from: Badbone88 on March 10, 2008, 10:08:07 PM
There seems to be allot of discussion with fuel line fliters.  Doesn't the factory filter work?  The manual I have says it's part of the petcock???
yes, there is a screen built into the petcock. even a little speck getting through can cause problems 
Based on what I have read, the issue with the stumbling acceleration off idle with gradual throttle movement, seems to be a vacume
could be.. test the YICS box
or (still...) a carb cleaning issue, most probably.. dip and clean the carbs
or a fuel petcock lever position,no affect on stumble or an electrical issue,if it's a bad plug/wire, maybe or a fuel spray pattern issue. dip and clean carbs again Wow, confusion...
I guess the best option is another set of gaskets (help), ebay buy it now $6ea. 2x$6=$12 +$2 sh another cleaning,  two or three times is good if they're really varnished some tuning of the adjustments I am not supposed to be able to adjust, we'll show you where they are or an electrical stator thingymabob. yep, most likely will need attention, if sytem isn't charging  I can deal with the gaskets.  Cleaning, no problem (got that down) but the Pilot Screw adjuster is problematic as I don't know where they should be set.  Any ideas?  I'll check later.  Fellas, your responses are great.  I'm learning and won't give up...

you've got some work ahead of you... nothing that anyone with a small amount of wrenching experience can't handle....
take one step at a time... or you'll go nuts  ;)

;D

Badbone88

OK, after spending hours, many hours reviewing just some of this site, finding Lucky's other page, learning and making the same comment, over and over again; "I should have read more before asking what appears to be a question (questions) answered many times over!"  I have learned enough to be better educated on why my new project has a couple of minor bugs to be worked out.  Thanks for not being critical, I had to learn.  As a new newbie, I am appreciative for this site and will check in often.  I have discovered some work had already been done that is being recommended.  The fuel filter in-line was in place.  The vacuum hoses going to the YICS triangulated box were not connected to it, but direct to vacuum ports on each cylinder.  They left the chrome piece there to fill up space i suppose.  I am going through all these safety concerns this weekend, dipping the carb (third cleaning) and changing those two bolts.  If I took a couple of pictures of the bike, could I get a response as to any other issues?  Also, I see the fairings found in some pictures and want one.  Where should i be looking?  Mine is black and gold.  Thanks for all the help!

Aelwulf

Good luck with the fairings.  They're one of the things becoming unobtainium and the ones that are out there often need some work and repainting.

I was about to suggest the YICS.  You mentin the hoses are connected to something else instead, not sure where that would be.  I think most of us with the YICS disconnected (pretty common) just seal the hoses with a bolt.

The petcock filter does ok for big stuff, but little stuff can still get through and that's the stuff that'll clog your carbs.  The carbs on these bikes can be really finicky, hence the insistence for the in-line filters.  They should take care of any of the small stuff that might get past the petcock filter screen.  I don't have the in-line shut-off valve, to be honest the past couple of weeks are the first I've heard of a need for 'em and I've been around since about last June (still relative newcomer but...).  However if it helps avert a potential problem go for it.

If it doesn't have it already look into replacing the front brake hose with the braided steel ones, considerable improvement.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Rick G

It sounds like you are saying that the lines that should go to the YIKS box are running from head to head , if so, thats wrong . Either connect them to the YIKS box or cork them up .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike