News:

Main Menu

New purchase, need advise.

Started by Badbone88, March 10, 2008, 03:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Quote from: Badbone88 on March 11, 2008, 03:22:45 PM

OK, after spending hours, many hours reviewing just some of this site, finding Lucky's other page, learning and making the same comment, over and over again; "I should have read more before asking what appears to be a question (questions) answered many times over!"  I have learned enough to be better educated on why my new project has a couple of minor bugs to be worked out.  Thanks for not being critical, I had to learn.  As a new newbie, I am appreciative for this site and will check in often.  .......

That's what's great about this site... no flame throwers... the answers to questions that newcomers have, even if they have been addressed many times, are still welcome and answered... those are some of the first things I noticed about the ROV when I joined...

you catch on quick  :D 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

ask as many questions as often as you need.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Badbone88

Ok, I am asking.  I am staying home this afternoon to care for my wife who had some surgery this morning and since I am here, and she is zonked-out, I gave her the two way and I am heading to the garage to take the carb off again.  What  I noticed last night was that on gradual accel, the carb seemed to be starved for fuel and as i slowly cranked it up, it would stumble up in bursts.  If i gave it a hard twist, then the rpms climbed, no problem.  So i am thinking the accelerator pump is working good but the circuit is clogged still.  I sinc'd the two and it idles nice and accels fast.  I am going to go through it fully this time, dip it is this gallon of gunk dip as no one carries Berrymans.  I looked in the Haynes manual and the pictures show only RJ carbs.  In need of RK carb pic's and have no reference.  Could I get help?  I don't know about all the vacuum lines but some good pictures of what i am supposed to see would be nice.  Also, the CO tuning was given as 2.5 turns and 4.5 turns front and rear.  Again, the book does not show the right carb or name parts on my Mikuni properly, so what is CO?
If i could get specific views, and tuning tips, that would be sweet.  I can do this stuff, but need examples.  After all, I built race winning go karts engines, hot rod car and boat engines, i can handle the tech.  My Yamaha dealer knows nothing...Thanks!!!!

QBS

There are better carb gurus' here than I am.  However, based on what you have been describing, and since you know very little a V carbs, I would suggest that if you haven't removed and cleaned the emulsion jet that is buried at the bottom of the aprox. 1.5" well in the center of (I think) the carb top that you do so.

This jet isn't out in plain sight and if you didn't know it was there you would never know it was there.  Removal requires a very well fitting thin and long flat blade screw driver.  The one I use is custom made just for this job.

REMEMBER.....if your carbs are '83 and you trash this jet while attempting to remove it....YOU WILL BE SO SCREWED.  It is buried where nothing can be done to remove it.  For all practical purposes the carb top is trash at that point.

Having said all this, with the proper knowledge and tool, removing this jet is no big deal.  I've had mine out several times over the years and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if nessessary.  But I never put my jets in killer tight because I know who will have to remove them the next time.  If you can get yours' out the first time without damaging them, then future removal should be easy.

Lucky

i could get it out, give me a set of lefty drill bits & some luck

Badbone88

I got everything out.  I am putting back together after spending a couple of hours cleaning again.  Big mistake last time with the gasket sealer.  That stuff got everywhere.  I have cleared, cleaned, even lubricated the arm for the pump, the throttle springs, the choke shaft and I hope this is the last time.  But, just in case, i hit all the threads with a little anti-seize.  I still am having issues with the vacuum lines, not knowing how the VISC thing gets mounted.  I took a picture of the carb and the engine area without the carb there and can email someone to help me get this installed correctly please.

Lucky

send it my way.  i also have the vacuume diagram on my site:

Rick G

I have a template for the bowl gasket in the '83 carbs , I can make one if you need it , or try to get one from the dealer , in any event  I'd put one in there.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

supervision

Welcome to the forum, you just need to run a little Blendzall in the fuel!!   I'm in Turlock!  Did you buy that bike on craigslist, from stockton?  These are neat bikes, takes time to sort em out.  Vacuum test that chrome triangle, make sure you have no leak between the two chambers. My cell # is 485 2049, I'm a driver, so I can talk anytime.  Dave
" border="0

Badbone88

Thanks Rick G and Supervision.  Answers:
Yes, I need two gaskets please.  Home email is dave@bigwhitelight.com.  I would be happy to work out something as no dealer would help.  In Modesto they pointed me to an obsolete website and that was old information.  Bummer.
To Supervision; isn't blendsoll a two stroke oil?  What effect would this have? I did buy the bike from a Craig's list ad.  Waterford was the location.  Except for this carb issue, the bike is real clean.  I did drive it and it stops good, with new battery, starts good, new tires,  and no rattles.  No vibration either at speeds under 40 and everything works, again, except for the carb.  The service manual was a throw-in.  Now I know why....!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on March 12, 2008, 08:22:21 PM
i could get it out, give me a set of lefty drill bits & some luck

Is that why we call you "Lucky"?  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

supervision

Sorry about the Blendzall comment, butt when you said Escalon, I couldn't resist.  That stuff was invented and made their!     By the way, those carbs have the strangest low speed adjusters I've ever seen !,  lot's of  parts.  Bike from Waterford, I see.  Nice to by more-less, runner, good find.  We should meet up, sometime, when you have a ready steed!  sv
" border="0

jasonm.

the issue is likely the accelerator pump nozzle(s) are clogged. It happened to me. And that is all it was. The nozzles are smaller than most jets. Look down the carbs with the air cleaner out. Twist the throttle with the engine off. Do you see gas squirting straight down each carb ? Likely one or both a mucked up. Disassembly and a proper cleaning of this may solve. Also the accel diaphragm may have an issue...not pumping the fuel. The YICS is a good thing. A bad thing would be if the YICS hoses that were not connected....were leaking..The YICS boxes can be repaired. It's been discussed here many times. Get a manual.they are still available.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

supervision

Jason, how bout the screens, before those nozzles, they are even smaller!
" border="0

Lucky

i've found not all V carbs have the screens in the accel nozzles.

supervision

The only nozes I've removed are on the set of 83's, I have.   Someday I might run em, too many details to work out first. 
" border="0

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rick G on March 13, 2008, 02:07:29 AM
I have a template for the bowl gasket in the '83 carbs , I can make one if you need it , or try to get one from the dealer , in any event  I'd put one in there.

I believe I have 2 sets of bowl gaskets for the 83 in my stash.  When I rebuilt my carbs, I didn't need to use them, mine were in great shape.

They're from the keyster kits.

Brian