Main Menu

About fork oil

Started by Serch, March 15, 2008, 11:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serch

Can anyone tell me the ml that I have to put (quantity)

Excuse my poor english, I'm spanish

Thx
Excuse my poor english. I'm spanish!!

motoracer8

230cc's or oil level 140mm from the top of the fork tubes, springs out forks compressed.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Serch

Thank you!!!

I don't have the manual workshop...

:D

Serch

Is the same if the bike is 82 or 83??

I think that I have 83 because I have progressive springs... but my model is european. Can anyone tell me the oil to put??

Thx, Sergio

zore

I'll be honest, the 82 forks are so basic, I don't think fork oil level will make that big a difference.  When I blew a seal, I just grabbed the 5w i had laying around and filled it until it looked good.  I noticed no difference in handling.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Lucky

Quote from: zore on July 28, 2008, 12:30:35 PM
When I blew a seal, I just grabbed the 5w i had laying around and filled it until it looked good. 

Naw, that's just vanilla ice cream...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I tried the recommended 15 Wt fork oil , but prefer automatic transmission fluid.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

motoracer8

ATF flows right around 55 seconds SUS @ 210 degrees, thats right in the middle of the 20W range, it is just slightly heaver than 15W. Where ATF shines is as things heat up ATF is much more linier in it's viscosity drop than some of the crap sold as fork oil.

Ken G.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: motoracer8 on July 29, 2008, 08:21:17 PM
ATF flows right around 55 seconds SUS @ 210 degrees, thats right in the middle of the 20W range, it is just slightly heaver than 15W. Where ATF shines is as things heat up ATF is much more linier in it's viscosity drop than some of the crap sold as fork oil.

Ken G.

I may have to try that. I have been using "silkolene" 15wt fork oil and it seems pretty mushy in my swapped 83 front end.  I keep the air pressure around 8 psi and have the standard 83 springs and spacers.  I thought of increasing the spacer length a little but may try the ATF instead.
In the end, if I get some extra cash, I may upgrade to progressive springs as well.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

motoracer8

I like the Progressive springs, And ATF combo. You don't have to add air with the Progressive springs. Heavier oil just makes the forks harsh as they have too much compression damping to start with. Adding a longer spacer just raises the ride height it dose'nt do anything about the spring rate.

Ken G.

YellowJacket!

Thanks for the info Ken.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

jasonm.

try some 0w30 or 5w20 synthetic oil. Talk about linear. I run at any temperature. The forks work great. As where a strait weight oil gets significantly thicker at say 40F vs. 80F. Also oil level significantly changes ride height and progerssive action of the forks. More oil= less air space. Less air space = quicker progressive resistance.  You don't need air forks....just more oil. This one reason why air forks are just not used any more. It's a gimmick on a smaller bike.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

motoracer8

Atf has a high viscosity index, whitch means it dosen't thicken or thin with cold or heat as a std 20w motor oil would. There are some good syn based fork oils out there, Like the stuff used in modern M/X bikes. Ow20 motor oil would probbaly work good, and be a danm site cheaper.

Ken G.

supervision

Here's a different twist on the same subject.  On my XR200R, I like to run negative pressure in the forks. I bleed out the air, while the forks are compressed, before riding.
" border="0

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com