I need a photo...

Started by Serch, March 15, 2008, 07:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serch

Hello.

Excuse my poor english. I'm restoring my XS400 with a few pieces of the xz (front fork because this model have twin disc)

But, in the XS400 the speedometer is very poor. I don't have indicator of gasoline; only have turn signal and preasure of oil...

Therefore, I would like a picture of your panel controls to see if I change too it

Thx
Excuse my poor english. I'm spanish!!

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

And in particular..  (click on photo to get to larger one.)

Lucky

it is only the 83 XZ's that have fuel level, the 82's did not.  EU guages do, i believe.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

When I rebuild an 82, I'll make sure to take photos  ;D

Brian (NO!  That was not me volunteering.  I have an Austin Healy Sprite to rebuild!)

Lucky

i didn't want Serch to think an 83 cluster was an easy find...

Rick G

Serch, the fuel gauge is only part of the system , you would also need the  sender in the gas tank  and you would need to create a place for it . It is a major undertaking! 
Also , the Xz forks are trailing axel  and the XS are not (at least here in North America)  this will quicken the handling . Something to consider.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Serch

I see the XZ and the XS and I believe that the two bikes are similar (rims, disc brake, and speedometer...) I beliave that the XZ is the "improved sister"

http://www.geocities.com/xs400/seca400.htm

www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xz_550_1983.php

The fork, in both, are 35mm and the height is almost the same (xs->632 xz->619mm)

In the fuel gauge, yes, you are correct but I think that it is NOT very dificult (I have to paint the bike and I can put the sender in the tank)

(excuse my poor english!!)

YellowJacket!

Serch, your English is quite good.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Serch

My speedometer (now, I removed the HI-FI jeje)

Lucky

You guys do realise your talking an XS & an XZ. two different animals.
try http://www.650rider.com/
and mikesxs.com (.net?)

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on March 20, 2008, 09:30:06 AM
You guys do realise your talking an XS & an XZ. two different animals.
try http://www.650rider.com/
and mikesxs.com (.net?)

pretty sure he has a seca 400, and since they look similar, he wants to know if the xz gauges will fit...
I have no idea.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Serch

Night Vision, you are correct.

I want do it and I think that it's possible (put the gauge in the tank and change the speedometer)

My bike is air-cooled  :(

Rick G

Serch , how about a pic of the whole bike?  I see your fairing is made in Spain!
These two bikes are more like cousins than brothers. I had a '78 XS400 , actually  I still do , its in OR and earmarked for my Grandson.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Serch

I'm sure that this two bikes are more similar (la XZ is better that the xs; the xz is water cooled and the xs is air cooled; la xz 83 have twin disc brake la xs only one; the speedometer in the xz is more completed gauge tank, temperature... but the front fork (rim, fork caliper... is the same)

Rick G

Thats a neat bike, Its far better than my '78 xs400 .  It really does look like the XZ550's little brother. I've seen the Maxim cruser version  but never a  seca.
Rick G

jasonm.

Over here that is NOT an "XS". It's an XJ400 Seca. I have magazines... 1st I would not go too far with your modifications. The temp gauge will not function and the fuel sender may not fit in the tank. And do you really want to cut a hole in your tank to have a fuel gauge.. Plus you will not have the neutral, oil pressure and high beam indicators. The XZ550 has those in the middle of the handlebar area. NOT part of the instrument cluster.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules