Front fork rebuild's...

Started by Tiger, November 04, 2007, 08:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

i don't think the sliders are any different.  the dampers may be though... too lazy to look it up.  :D

i normaly run 7-8 lbs with my 215#'s, & full fairing.  i dropped it 2 lbs since it got colder (the oil is thicker)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

I have had terrific success with adding 1cm PVC spacers on top of the standard 82 setup.  For a 180lb rider it provides a nice ''sag" height for smooth highway riding and lots of compression travel for the rough stuff.  The stock setup has way too much sag.  I am sure they set these up for 125 lb riders which are rare in N.America.  I also run 10 wt. oil which is really smooth on the highway and unless I was going to the track the rebound damping is sufficient for street riding.  At the time of my last fork tune-up I polished the tubes inside and out as well as the springs to eliminate as much stiction as possible.  Pretty nice fork action after that process. By the way, I use aftermarket seals and they have run 15,000 kms for $10. I can't remember the brand but they have really nice (real rubber) seals which I have used on several bikes with great success.  Some cheap (significant plastic content) ones don't work so well.

I added air at the same time but the PVC spacer has eliminated the need for it.  Looks nice though and no doubt would be handy if I was running two up and loaded with luggage.  It takes about 15 minutes to change out a PVC spacer and it makes a lot of sense to do so since it is the best value fork tuning enhancement you can do to your bike.

Cheers

YellowJacket!

Louie,

Did you use the pvc spacer in addition to the metal tube spacer that is already in there?

Thanks,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Cdnlouie

Hi Dave,

Yes, I added the PVC spacer to increase spring compression which decreases the sag (difference in fork tube extension at rest and then loaded with rider).  It's really important to set each bike up for every rider's weight and this PVC spacer is a great tweak.  There are certain handling characteristics with the stock spring that are quite desirable over the progressive (and it is good as well), but before doing this change I like to do the cheap tweaks first.  I found 1cm to be about the max. I could use for my weight so even about 8mm would be a significant improvement over stock setup, unless of course you are a 125lb rider.

Louie

couchflyer

I did it.  I rebuilt my forks.  I put in a new seal, oil and I replaced the metal spacer w/a 3/4" PVC pipe that is one inch longer than the metal spacers.  So far no leaking.  Now I need to wait until the snow melts to drive it.  I want to thank all who have added to this post, I appreciate it.
Mike
1982 Yamaha Vision ~ 1 Black & 1 Red
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
2008 Ducati 1098 ~ Track only
Sola Scriptura

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Kenny

Hi Dave,
         :) No need to use both the metal spacer & the PVC one ,just use the length of PVC that provides you with One inch of preload along with the washer that goes between the spring & the PVC spacer.
     If you are having trouble with your new seals I suggest you take a real fine look at the outside of the tubes, just one ding or minute gouge will rip the new seal. Borrow a pair of your better half's nylons and give the tube a rub to check for imperfections- they'll snag if you have a defect. Or do like CL and polish them.  ;)
                                 Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Kenny on March 22, 2008, 10:34:34 PM
Or do like CL and polish them.  ;)

0000 steel wool and chrome polish will work wonders...

Brian

kwells

+1 to that steel wool
mothers alum polish
mothers power ball
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com