News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

oh so close. . .

Started by williamruck, March 21, 2008, 08:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williamruck

QuoteTo remove the nozzle just get a pair of pliers and pull it off.  Might need to rotate slightly right and left, but make sure that you DO NOT put the pliers on the nozzle tip as it will most likely break off.

That's what I was going to ask. I will let you know if I need anything else. I have a manual with a blow-up illustration of the carb so that should be helpful.

QBS

When working on carbs always stuff the throats with rags to keep from having a really bad day should something want to drop in.

Lucky

Quote from: dj on April 06, 2008, 06:02:03 PM
  there is also some parts underneath it (a ball, spring, and a weight). 

no spring, just the ball & weight.
some nozzles have screens on them, most 82's don't
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

You can make those fancy tools, by stripping the insulation off of several differant grades of multistrand wire . The copper is too soft to damage a jet orifice but will auger out crusty of gooey stuff , if applied with care.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dj

Quote from: Lucky on April 06, 2008, 11:19:12 PM
Quote from: dj on April 06, 2008, 06:02:03 PM
  there is also some parts underneath it (a ball, spring, and a weight). 

no spring, just the ball & weight.
some nozzles have screens on them, most 82's don't

For some reason I thought there was a spring in their.  If Lucky says there is no spring then there is no spring.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

williamruck

Well I didn't find a spring so I am kind of glad there isn't supposed to me one. Anyways, I took it apart, soaked the little parts in carb cleaner, tried to clean everything out as good as I can, and it seems to am getting airflow through both jets in equal amounts. We will have to see if it worked when I put it back together again. Thanks for the info guys.  ;D

dj

Make sure that when you put the nozzle back in that it is as close to the original position as possible.  They are set up so that when the gas sprays out that it does not hit the butterfly valve.

I'd say put everything back together and fire her up.  Let us know how things go.  Sounds like you are getting very close.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

williamruck

SUCCESS!  :D I put the carbs back on this afternoon and with very little effort it started right up. I have to say that is a very encouraging sound. I don't hear any knocks or ticks coming from the engine. There are two things however:

1. The carbs are obviously out of sync, it doesn't want to idle. It will rev real high then when you let off the choke it will get real low and die. Any advice on syncing carbs? I have done a bit of reading and have made myself a syncing tool but any advice would be welcome.

2. It smokes like it is going out of style (which it is here in the states by the way). I figure it is a byproduct of sitting for a while but do you think it might be the valves or anything like that? I am not too knowledgeable about bikes and I don't know what would cause them to smoke a lot.

I just want to say thanks for all the help, I would have given up long ago if it weren't for all of the help I have gotten from you guys.

Night Vision

there's a thumb screw on the right side of the rear carb that adjusts idle speed... try that first  ;)

smokin? what color? smell?

white smoke =  water
blue/black smoke = oil or rich fuel
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

If its blue smoke try riding it a bit , many times rings will reseat  with a bit of brake in.  When I reassembled mine this spring, it smoked  at first, even though I had used a glaze breaking hone on the bores. After a few short trips , the rings reseated and  and the smoke faded away. Which is good because vision rings are very rare.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

Quote from: williamruck on April 07, 2008, 08:33:18 PM
2. It smokes like it is going out of style (which it is here in the states by the way). I figure it is a byproduct of sitting for a while but do you think it might be the valves or anything like that? I am not too knowledgeable about bikes and I don't know what would cause them to smoke a lot.

Mine will smoke quite a bit if it's been sitting for a while.  It's usually a whitish blue smoke, so oil and some condensation.  It stops pretty quickly, within 5 minutes or so.

Of course it's been a while since it's done that since I've been commuting on it.

Brian

williamruck

I would have to say that the smoke is a whitish blue smoke. I am not too worried about it, I have worked on cars a bit so I can recognize "bad" smoke, but I will definitely just ride it for a bit and let you know if it goes away.

williamruck

Quotethere's a thumb screw on the right side of the rear carb that adjusts idle speed... try that first

I didn't have too much time to play with it, but I did fiddle with the idle adjust. I will give it a little bit more work, but my neighbor I mentioned who worked at a bike shop heard it start up and came over real quick. His first thought was out of sync carbs, he just explained that one is fighting against the other and the just need to be "reigned in a bit". I will work with the idle adjust a bit first and let you guys know how it goes.

williamruck

Question: Would having the airbox off effect how the bike idles? I left it off after I got the carb back on. I just htought of that this morning and I haven't had a chance to work on the bike again today.

dj

Quote from: williamruck on April 08, 2008, 10:12:12 AM
Question: Would having the airbox off effect how the bike idles? I left it off after I got the carb back on. I just htought of that this morning and I haven't had a chance to work on the bike again today.

It can have an effect on how it runs.  Just think of all the extra air that is getting into the mixture with the airbox off.  I'd say put the air box back on and see what it does.  The carbs will still need to be synched though.  Anytime the carbs are taken apart they will need to be tweaked.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

williamruck

I want to say thank you for all the help that I have gotten here. It has been a somewhat longer project than I have wanted but I have my vision up and running, and very well I might add at that. I am now in the process of stream-lining everything. I took off the "aftermarket" forks that were on the bike and have replaced tham with the factory ones but I am missing a few bits and pieces of hardware. I have a post here:

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=8737.0

Please let me know if you guys have any spare parts lying around. And thanks again for all the help.