Keyster Carb rebuild tips?

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, July 16, 2004, 11:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

Hey All,
just got my Keyster rebuild kits and am wondering if anyone has any tips. Is it straight replacement or is there some crazy *ss thing I have to do like stand on my left leg only while inserting the main jet during the equinox with dead chickens in a circle. I hope to god this stuff takes care of my bike issues. And Lucky, please go easy on me. LOL

nvdranger

B.I.T.S. the kits are a direct replacement, you will end up 2 addition jets and 1 accelerator pump spring/diaphram since the kits are for front or rear.  Since you have everything apart use a piece of hanger wires or very small files to clean ALL emphasis on ALL passageways.  I'll tell you from experience it makes a hugh difference.  Go slow, take you time, and you will have nothing to worry about.
Good Luck.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Lucky

count the # of turns the pilot screws are set at & write it down before you start.  crack the synq rod nuts loose, but DO NOT allow the rod to turn, you want to keep this adjustment as is untill you synq the carbs or you'll have a hard time getting it to start.

get yourself a can of Berrymans Carb dip ($11-$12 at Pep Boys) take everything off the carbs except the throttle plates. don't worry about the plastic drains they'll be fine.  set the carb parts in the basket (comes with the dip) and dip them for 1/2 hour each, agitatting the basket every 5 min or so.  you'll have to do it in steps because the carbs won't fit in all at once.

rinse the parts out well with a hose & blow out all the passages with compressed or canned air.

one last thing, ok, a couple, wear an apron if you have one & gloves, and be sure not to wear rubber soled shoes or you'll cause a HUGE EXPLOSION!!!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Back_in_the_Saddle

Thanks all,
Nvdranger,
 did you dip the carbs at all? in other words, did you dip them before or during that. I have already dipped my carbs but am stilll haing what appears to be fuel flow problems. I suppose I can give 'em a good scrape anyway, just in case.

Lucky, Oh My God!
You saved my life! I almost wore my tennis shoes....big mistake. I'd heard motorcycles were dangerous but who knew. Lucky, you slay me.

Lucky

it's not uncommon to have to dip the carbs twice because as clean as they come the first time, sometimes a little scale left behind can work loose and reclog a passage. that being said, at that point, probably pulling the jets and blasting the carbs with gumout can be just as effective as dipping.

Hey Cupcake, you asked for it, lol!  ;D

Back_in_the_Saddle

Quick question.
I've pulled the carb off the bike, in the top cylinder of the front and back carbs, there are 3 "holes'". One is empty, the other is a jet. The third one in the front appears to go to the nozzle which leads to the air box under the tank, it is blocked. The one on the back carb is open. Should it be this way?

Lucky

nvdranger

sorry just got home i dipped mine twice prior to the new keyter kits coming out.  the second time around is when i figured out the passageway problem.  the bike sat since '96 and was gumed up pretty bad.  cleaning the passaways helped so much and i got the keyter kits mainly for the jets/accelerator pump diaphram.

Ken  
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.