News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

$250 '82 Vision, brought back to life

Started by blimp, April 14, 2008, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blimp

Hello All,

I'd like to say thanks for all the usefull info on this site, With ya'lls help I've gotten my recent bargain purchase back up and running and have a few questions.  This is an '82 with over 15k miles on it, not sure exactly how many, the odo/speedo seems broken.  I think its an early one, the forks say it was built in late '81.  I got her with some electrical problems, but i replaced the fuse panel and clipped the rev limiter wire and now she start up nicely. 

Question 1:  which vacuum lines should I use to sync the carbs?  Is it ok to use the ones from the YICS? If not, anyone have pics of which tubes to disconnect?

Question 2: When I start her up with the choke, she revs up to around 3k rpms and stays there until i take the choke off.  Is this normal?  I've got the idle set at just over 1k, and she sounds pretty healthy.  The YICS has a small internal leak that i'll be taking care of soon.

This is my first motorcycle, i've been riding old vespa smallframes for many years though.  Glad to have a nice torquey 4 stroke to keep my lil scoots company. 

Thanks in advance,
blimp

Brian Moffet

Quote from: blimp on April 14, 2008, 04:57:45 PM
Question 1:  which vacuum lines should I use to sync the carbs?  Is it ok to use the ones from the YICS? If not, anyone have pics of which tubes to disconnect?

I'll leave the details on that to someone with your same carbs (I have an 83) but I believe the proper place is on the intake manifold (black rubber between the carb and engine).  If I am remembering correctly, the YICS is connected to the engine.

Quote from: blimp on April 14, 2008, 04:57:45 PM
Question 2: When I start her up with the choke, she revs up to around 3k rpms and stays there until i take the choke off.  Is this normal?  I've got the idle set at just over 1k, and she sounds pretty healthy.

That sounds about right.  I normally have my choke on, and then after it's been running for a while, I start reducing the choke to maintain around 1500 RPM.  Once it's warm, my bike idles at 1100 or so.

Brian

Rick G

Hi Blimp, Follow the line from the vacuum petcock to the front cylinder manifold  and remove the line at that point.  On the rear manifold   there is a an exact duplicate , with a rubber cap on it . You will use these two to sync the carbs. You will need to run the petcock on prime  for this operation. You should disconnect the YIKS hoses at the head while your doing the sync. you will need some sort of cap on the spigot , or two piece's of similar hose with a ball bearing stuffed in , to cap them off.
The choke on the Vision is a "mixture en-richening device " as  opposed to a butterfly  choke , and it will rev while on the choke . Use as Little choke as possable , especially in warm weather. I set my idle at 1500 rpm, There just a bit more oil pressue at idle that way. 
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

blimp

Excellent info, thank you both for your quick replies.

YellowJacket!

Cool.  'cept I paid $249.00 less for mine. ;D

Welcome to ROV.  Where you located?  You use "Y'all". thats a common word down here so I was just wondering if your from around here.

Sealing up the YICS will help but cleaning the carbs good...ie disassembling and dipping should be a priority.

Take Care,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

for  along time I thought that y'all  was a  two masted sailing boat!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

blimp

When I got it, i think the PO had cleaned the carbs well trying to find the problem, they looked immaculate.  I'm in Austin, TX.

Rick G

There are carb cleanings and there are carb cleanings . If he didn't know the  unique problems of the Vision carb , they could be sparking clean and  yet nonfunctional.
Rick G

YellowJacket!

Quote from: blimp on April 14, 2008, 06:46:46 PM
I'm in Austin, TX.

Yep, thats a Y'all state.  ;D

I'm from the real UT state.....TN  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

blimp

haha, nice one :-)

going to sync the carbs tonight, got new tires on the way.  Can't wait to drive this thing more than just around my neighborhood!

blimp

New tires installed, registered, inspected, insured, and 100+ miles clocked.  Man this thing is fun. 

Carbs synced up, idle mix set up pretty well I think.  I still have a bit of an idle hunt (YICS removed), i'm going to reseal the YICS this weekend and install it and see how she behaves.   I'm thinking there is a bit of a clog in the idle circuit, but she is running quite well. 

I experienced a no start a few times after shutting her off, I think it was carb vapor-lock.  The last time it happened i put the petcock on prime and she started right up.  Must have relieved pressure or something...

Got some carb dip and i'm going to do the bike inner-tube-carb-manifold fix as well.   

This site is awesome, so much good info.

-blimp

Night Vision

try the liquid electrical tape on the the carb manifolds.... mucho easier
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

I've also been using it to seal up old , cracked Honda cables, them when you lube them the lube stays inside.
Rick G

blimp

I'll just make this my Vision update thread if you guys don't mind :-)

Replaced the bearing in the head with tapered roller bearings as well as the front wheel bearings.  Rides way smoother now, there was quite a 'notch' in the steering right in the middle. 

Idle problem seems to have gone away with a few tanks of gas with carb cleaner/fuel system cleaner and messing with the idle mixture as well as syncing the carbs.   Now I just leave it with a bit of choke on till she is all warmed up and then the idle is very consistent.

Repaired the YICS box as well, it definitely helps the engine run smoother.  I imagine its more fuel efficient now too, i had to turn the idle down quite a bit when I put it back on, so it seems to be using less fuel.

Thanks again peops,
-blimp