How many times do you clean your carbs?

Started by Glyn, April 15, 2008, 07:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

I've been logging onto this site for a couple of years now and have got some great advice from many of you out there. Amongst many of the quirks of the Vision are it's carbs and their ability to gum up, esp when the bike has not been used often. I'd be interested to know how many times owners clean/dip their carbs each year and how this equates to regular useage of the bike.

I'm starting this post since many members seem to spend an awful lot of time/effort /money doing this when they could be riding their bikes. I tried with the std 82 carb many times before I gave up on it and tossed it away. Car carbs seem bullet proof in comparison and can sit for years and still give no hastles on restarts.

I know the Mikuni can be made to run OK, but for the sake of slight modification from standard I think many owners would be better off with another carb. Many Harleys /Triumphs etc carry after market carbs. The only complication on the conversion I have done was the manifold construction. This should be a simple foundry job but I made mine up buy hand.  Now I'll shut up and won't mention it again!

Tiger

Quote from: Glyn on April 15, 2008, 07:45:19 AM
I'd be interested to know how many times owners clean/dip their carbs each year and how this equates to regular useage of the bike.

:) During the season I run a can of "Berrymans Carb Cleaner" through the gas every so often.

During the off season I drain the gas tank, (put the gas in the car), put in fuel stabiliser and refill with fresh gas.

NOTE: I do run with an in-line gas filter and the gas tank is not lined...

Never had any problem's over the three/four year's since I got "The Mistress" on the road after the previous owner had her layed up for six/seven year's.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

joevacc

I have had mine done once in 40,000 miles.  I think it was the year I got married, my wife was pregnant and I bought a hundred year old house that needed to be gutted and put back.  Didn't ride much that year.  That was at around 20,000 miles ago.  Also, I had rode it hard and put it away wet.  ;D

The one thing that I didn't do, that I have always done previously, was to keep the tank very full of fuel.  I never have drained my tank for the winter although it's only because I'm lazy and not because I think it's a bad idea.

The other benefit of keeping the tank very full when the bike is going to sit (even for a couple of weeks) is to keep moisture from condensing on the walls of the tank and flash rusting it.  (my tank shines like a jewel inside  8) )

I try to keep high quality fuel in it... But I am not sure hat that has anything to do with it.

Oh yea,  I always have had a clean air filter in the thing!
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

pat sullivan

This year will be the the 25th year I've owned the Vision and I've yet to take the carbs off to be cleaned.  Twice I've run about a half of Berrimans directly through the carbs by disconnecting the hose at the tank -  once wnen it was new and once at around 30,000 miles.  I'm usually able to ride the machine at least once a month or two during the winter - live in California.

Pat S.

Brian Moffet

The only time I cleaned my carbs was in 2005.  That was after 40,000 miles.  I had a failure that made it necessary.  That was also when I wasn't riding it much.

Brian

Lucky

Normal use the carbs don't need cleaning, it's only when the bike has sat for years that they get gummed up or worse, and need to be cleaned, sometimes more than once.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I have cleaned the carbs on both my Visions only once, and that was during their rebuilds because they were neglected. I probably could do them both again, since they were so bad.... but that's too much bother right now, I'd rather ride.

I use some Techtron every couple of tanks to keep things flowing. Seems to me that mine run differently when the gas stations switch from summer gas to winter gas.. so tweaking the pilot screws is no big deal.... I also run a Uni filter so depending on if it is a fresh oiling or not makes some difference.....

I'd rather play with the pilot screws; which is much easier than a teardown. 

I've also given SmokeBomb a feminine nickname: Maybelline

"Oh Maybelline why can't you stay tuned?...  Oh Maybelline why can't you stay tuned?.....
You've started back doin' the things you used to do....."

ha ha.... not so much.... but a little. that's why they're so much fun  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

bmeyer6472

I've owned my Vision since 1983, and have never dipped the carbs, nor have I ever had to run any kind of cleaner through the fuel system. As Lucky says, the key is to not let them sit idle for years, and the other thing is to keep the tank full if you need to leave the bike stored for a while, as has been mentioned. An inline fuel filter is excellent preventive medicine also. Once you have your carbs set properly, they should stay that way if you use the bike often enough to keep the fuel fresh. Routine maintenance wouldn't include cleaning the carbs, IMHO.

Brian Moffet

Coil Coyle

Once,
         If I get it right.

;)
Coil

Rick G

My first vision , in 1998  had a idle problem , it didn't like to. I added a can of  Seafoam  and went for a ride  of about 40 miles. I had to use the choke, in traffic to get it  to stay running, on the way to the freeway. There was no improvement , I went for a ride to see my friend Elmer Olson and stayed for lunch . When I started it to leave, it idled fine !!
I filled the tank , added a can of Seafoam  and drained the carbs  in preparation for winter.

In 2001 when we were prepairing to leave MN. it started  acting up again, so I went through the carbs  Not knowing what sort of space I'd have in OR. 
They were fine until 2005  ( the bike had sat for  9 months waiting for me to replace the engine.) I had just gone through them when the CAROV arrived  in town , and it ran like crap , especially above 6000 ft. I added some Seafoam  and the problem went away (I still add some to every 3 tank)  They are still in tune  after 3 years . I sync the about twice a year.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

don_vanecek

Three times, first time after I had the bike about 2 years and the gas tank most likely did em in (so about 1986), don't remember now why or when I did the second time, third dip was totally expected after my bike had sat from 1994 to 2004 (I could be off a year).

QBS

Owned my '83 since '84, currently has about 88k on it. Carbs might have cleaned once but I can't remember for sure.  Have always run an inline fuel filter.  Run strong concentrations of Berrymans or Seafoam about once a year. Have always ridden it enough and used gasoline dewater to keep the water out of the tank so the tank has never rusted.  Have PORed the the tank anyway as additional insurance.  Use inline fuel cutoff valves to make sure the carbs don't get fuel after I drain them.

Here's the REALLY BIG TIP:  When storing the bike for more than a week, turn the fuel cutoff valves off, open both carb drain screws and leave them open for the duration of storage.   

Walt_M.

I cleaned the carbs on my '83(another original owner) 3 times while getting her back on the road again in 2003. No fuel filter and nothing since. Not a lot of miles but it seldom sets over a month. As for keeping a full tank of fuel, with that damned ethanol mix we get anymore, it probably doesn't matter.
Whale oil beef hooked!