questions 4 i have

Started by Chivo1944, April 16, 2008, 05:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chivo1944

incase you may not know for all of those who know archie i just bought his bike.  first off i still am having the low idle oil light problem and i am gonna try to replace oil with some royal purple and the filter and if that doesnt work to go through oil pump and if i notice significant damage i will just replace it if you can think of anything else please let me know.  I know lot of the cosmetic pieces are plastic are there metal replacements avaible and are there any companies that are making brand new parts for these bikes. and my last 2 questions go together are there any after market exhaust avaible that will increase the sound of the pipes and if not can i cut the pipes before the silencers right about at the junction by the passenger pegs and weld on a 45 to increase the sound will it have a substantial negitive effect on the performance or will it be negligble.

p.s. sorry for the lenght this is my first post
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

Lucky

Wow! you said that all in one breath! lol

--ok, changing the oil & filter is the first thing you should try, 20W-50 is what she needs.

--before taking the oil pump out (if the oil & filter don't work) check to see the oil pump pick up screen screen isn't clogged.  if someone used rtv to seal a case, what squished out may be blocking the pump.  NOTE: every time you pull the right engine case you must replace the crankshaft oil seal in the cover.

--Mac Performance makes an inexpensive ($250) replacement. they are black, straight thru bolt ons that have a deeper growl, but are loud.  if you don't like volume, you can add packing to the cans. you can see pics of them in the gallery.

--i don't think a lot of us have cutr the stock cans off leaving the collectors. the stock exhaust is internaly complicated, & i think attempts haven't been too succesfull.  someone, i forget who right now, is in the process of that conversion.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Chivo1944

ok should i just take the old filter to an auto parts store and look for the same one and as far as the screen to getto it do i just pull off the oil pump cover lol im trying to fix the problem archie had with his bike since i bought it from him yesterday
Ben

russellsea

I usally get my filters at the local Yamaha or motorcycle shop, there about 10$

QBS

Re oil filter: do a search on FRAM

Chivo1944

ok i replaced the oil and filter earlier today and it didnt do any thing the light still comes on at low speed now i have the oil drained again and the filer out now i dont know where to find the pick up screen i ordered a new oil pump this morning to i was gonna take the old on out but i dont know which side of the crank case its on and what additional things need tto be taken off for me to get to it. i would like to pull it out and have the bike ready for when new one comes
Ben

Tiger

:) I would advise you to get one of Lucky's CD/DVD's... 8) Its includes a full workshop & part's manual, as well as helpful tip's, advertising, etc, etc. It will make your life, (and your Vision's), much easier.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Chivo1944

yay i just split my first crank case and now im about to pull the oil pump out
Ben