News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Missing Y-pipe clamp?

Started by Perus, April 24, 2008, 09:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perus

I've noticed an unwanted sound below my Y-pipe, maybe this is the cause?

According to http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx there should
be a clamp here, does anyone know the dimension of that clamp?

Br,
Per

Rick G

I probably have one I can measure, I'll report back.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Hey rick, have you ever had the y pipe upper exhaust clamps leak, but the gasket is fine? I dont know if i should replace just my gaskets or the entire cone clamp assembly
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

They usually seal pretty well, but mine sound like I have a leak,  on the Y pipe somewhere , I'm going to have to put it up on the hoist and see it I can get a handle on it. Mine has new copper gaskets .
I had thought about using furnace cement to pack the copper gaskets and then tighten the clamps . I'm not sure if I can even get it here, I bought in in Menard's in MN. its great for chimney cracks and leaky flue pipes , it was origionally intended to seal up coal furnaces. So I'll bet it will stand the exhaust temp on a vision.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

I've used furnace cement on automotive exhaust seam leaks with great success.  Tried it on the MACs on Tractor - where the front headpipe connects to the rear can - it held for the few hundred miles the bike ran before it got crashed.  Still looks good & should be back in service sometime this summer.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

I might try that then instead of trying to find nos exhaust clamps :O Furnace cement hadn't occured to me. It can just be chipped out later right?

Rick G

It can be removed later if you need to.
Rick G

Perus

Quote from: Rick G on April 24, 2008, 06:02:56 PM
I probably have one I can measure, I'll report back.
That would be great :)

Br,
Per

Coil Coyle

The stock gasket works well.
Swell the pipe with a suitable size socket as a mandrel before you slip in the new gasket. The gasket lasts ten or fifteen years if its clamped up right the first time.

$0.02
;)
Coil

inanecathode

Rick G

Per , I don't have any left they all went with the stock exhaust , I sold. Perhaps someone else can measure one?
Rick G

Night Vision

Quote from: Perus on April 24, 2008, 09:34:08 AM
I've noticed an unwanted sound below my Y-pipe, maybe this is the cause?

According to http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx there should
be a clamp here, does anyone know the dimension of that clamp?

Br,
Per

what seems like any easy question, may not have an easy answer...

that clamp is actually oval in shape. front to back is about 50mm, side to side is about 45mm, and it is about 15mm wide

OVAL? well the clamp gets its oval shape because the hole on the exhaust collector the Y pipe goes into is oval. if it wasn't oval, it would be nearly impossible to line up the exhaust onto the Y pipe.

when the exhaust is fitted onto the Y pipe, the front edge of the oval contacts first, and then the exhaust gets lifted up into place....

does that make sense how I'm trying to describe that?

also, there is am inner copper gasket (also oval) that's about 20 or 30mm wide inside the hole in the collector that the Y pipe slides into.

I would suggest dropping the exhaust, making sure you have the inner gasket, putting your clamp on, and putting it back together using red or copper RTV on the joints. It's tricky lining everything up, but putting the exhaust on a floor jack works well so you can line it up and slowly jack it onto the Y pipe.

OR..... just get a heavy duty hose clamp, give it a try and hope for the best... if that doesn't work, drop it.

EITHER WAY..... BUT TO ME, it looks like your Y pipe is not going far enough into the collector and that might be the bulk of your exhaust leak noise.

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

I found assembling the rear cylinder exhaust on a vision (XZ550awkward at best .  I remove the rear wheel, which allows me to see, what I'm doing AND get my hands on it As a bonus , I can check the rear brakes for wear and grease the drive spline and Axel.
Rick G

Perus

Oh, oval? I didn't realise that it would be this difficult, just tried with an 42mm Clamp which actually fits but it still leaks a bit so
a heavy duty hose clamp might be a better choice.
When time permits* I'm going to reassemble the Y-pipe with the collector as you guys told me.

Thanks so far :)

Br,
Per

*) Still moving :(

Staffan

Hej Per!

Kul med en till svensk på forumet. Lycka till med din XZ. (Ser MYCKET bättre ut än min)

Staffan

Chivo1944

how much stuff do i have to take off to get the rear wheel off
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

kwells

axle nut and cotterpin, rear brake bar bolt, and the brake cam.  I think that's it really.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Chivo1944

so what are we talking about time wise
Ben

Night Vision

10 minutes, unless it take longer.....

you might have to "kick" the wheel off the drive hub.... don't kick the bike over
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Chivo1944

so i dont have to drain any fluids or any thing
Ben