News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Missing Y-pipe clamp?

Started by Perus, April 24, 2008, 09:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

no fluids to drain. have some grease handy for the drive spline when you put it back on
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Chivo1944

Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Chivo1944

sweet i am gonna take off the tire tonight cause im bored
Ben

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

Nope, it's really easy.  The differential is sealed and the spline just slides on.

Brian

Chivo1944

well not exactly just the tire the who rear wheel cause im getting it ready for my macs this week and im thinking of doing some fiberglass work on the rear tail light assembly
Ben

kwells

just so you know...the macs make it a bit more difficult to get the rear axle out.  I had to remove the monoshock pin so that the swingarm can come below the pipes.  Also...have to jack the bike up a couple more inches higher than the centerstand can provide so you will need a second person available to steady the bike.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Or you can remove the lower MAC can.  Seemed easiest to me.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

yah...that would work too. I knew someone out there had a better way.  Mine was rusted on and didnt feel like battling with rusted bolts.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I like your idea H2O , I have been loosening the muffler mounting bolts,  sticking a piece of wood between the mufflers to separate them and pulling the axle out between them.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Chivo1944

whayt are you guys talking about who has to take of the axle
Ben

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

Chivo1944

ok so are they ayaing that putting the tire back on is hard with macs or what causer mine came off easy but i still have stock exhaust on
Ben

Rick G

Getting the rear axle out takes a little more thought , is all, I've been doing it for  9 years , its not that hard. just pay attention to the  comments here.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Chivo1944

im not trying to take the rear axle out i just took the tire off to have more acess ti the heads and the y pipe for when i put on my macs this week
Ben

kwells

i was talking about taking the tire off with Macs
You currently have stock exhaust so it is much easier.
The axle comes off either way though.

www.wellsmoto.com

Chivo1944

ok i get it since the macs are both on the sam side and a little bit lower you cant just push the akle thru like you can on the stock exhaust so it would be a good idea to get the rear header installe with the help of the y pipe then put on the tire and put the rest of the exhaust on
Ben

Perus

Quote from: Staffan on April 28, 2008, 12:21:06 PM
Hej Per!

Kul med en till svensk på forumet. Lycka till med din XZ. (Ser MYCKET bättre ut än min)

Staffan
Hej!/Hi!
Thanks, please send photos :)

Br,
Per