News:

Main Menu

Carb question

Started by astro2k, April 24, 2008, 04:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astro2k

I just finished reassembling my carbs, and they don't seem to look/fit together correctly. Did I put these things together backwards? Thanks!

tben

Its close but the right one is where the left one goes and vis versa. There is a rubber T fitting that connects those two large brass nipples and the fuel pump. ;)
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

Lucky

yeah, but now he has great acceleration BACKWARDS!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kwells

I think you just need to sync them and you'll be fine
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Don't try to sync them until you put the rear one in the front ones place  and visa versa .  You have them reversed. do you have a manual ?  If not contact Lucky, for one of his CD/dvd's, it has two manual's and lots of other stuff.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

wonder if you could get them to fit like that. 

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

This is how they should look, though this is a side shot, you have a top shot.  (note, these are 83 carbs, which should be close enough...)

Brian

astro2k

Thanks...I was starting to wonder when that t-hose didn't fit. I'm gonna put it all back together tomorrow, I'll be back with 20 more stupid questions when it still won't start! =D

astro2k

It's amazing how well things work when you put them together properly! =D

Now for my second problem - Where can I find a vaccum diagram? I have the Haynes manual and couldn't find anything useful. Most of the vaccum lines were disconnected when I got it, and I have no clue what goes where. Thanks!

kwells

this is all I have...there are some out there tho

and this from www.xz550.com (lucky's site)

www.wellsmoto.com

astro2k

Thanks kwells, I got most of em now. There are still two hoses that seemingly go nowhere, I'll post a picture of them later!

Can't wait to ride this thing!

Lucky

Quote from: astro2k on April 25, 2008, 09:48:47 PM
There are still two hoses that seemingly go nowhere,

probably the bowl vent hoses.  mine are so long gone i don't remember where they are routed.  probably dump out the back
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Hoses can be confusing. In 1972 , while working at John Burr cycles  , a Honda dealer in Fontana CA.  A customer came in , saying the his  160 didn't run very well, I was assigned to look at it . It seems that the drain hoses had rotted and fallen off. The owner panicked  and started look for something to connect to those new shiny nipples on the bottom of the carbs.  He found the  battery vent tube  and the engine breather hose , so he  installed them to the nipples. he told me the everyone knows that a hose goes from some where to somewhere!!
The battery fumes had corroded the inside of the carb so much the we had to replace. The  brass float in the other  was collapsed by the engine pumping pressure. It only needed a new float .
I really enjoyed  wrenching back then , before the lawyers and bean counters took over.  (Sorry H2O)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

astro2k

Here's what I got so far!

Top view:

The screwdriver is pointing at a hose that goes under the engine and dumps to nowhere:

I have no clue where these came from... I'm guessing the long one has something to do with coolant?

Random nipple?

h2olawyer

The clear hoses are carb breathers.  They run from the backside of the choke plungers, toward the rear tire & exit down through the bottom of the frame.  Not sure what the white tube is for.  I believe the "Random Nipple" is the front carb inlet for the accelerator pump.  There should be another empty nipple on the rear carb, near the pump mechanism itself.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

The random nipple looks like it goes to the accelerator inlet in the carb.  This is the brown line in Lucky's drawing.

I think that is the same as the brass fitting in the center of this photo:

And it fits into the fitting in the center of this photo (facing toward you, not the one facing down), connected to the accelerator pump.  They are 90 degrees offset from each other on the carbs when you look at them in the bike.  The black hose in thee upper left of your photo is what connects these.