battery question

Started by Chivo1944, April 22, 2008, 11:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chivo1944

i have a question on problems with my battery i just added more water to it and i believe it charges and i can get up in the morning and ride my bike around for a while and everything is great but if it stalls the and i try to start it up it barely has the power to turn the motor over so i had to push start it and then it ran fine then i stalled it again and would not start up but if i wait an hour or so and try again i can usually start it up.... whats going on do i just need a new battery. please help
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

Rick G

First you should charge the  battery over night , with a  charger that will drop to 1/ 1.5 amps   as the battery charges  (a tapered charge)  Check the battery voltage , it should be 12 to 12.5 volts, Start the bike and take your volt meter (you do have a volt meter, don't you?)
and check the voltage  at the battery terminals. It should read 12.5 to 13 volts at idle and  13.5 to 14 volts at 3500 rpm.  If it doesn't , then you have some work to do.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

they can be reclaimed if weak but only if a regular trickle charge doesnt work
would need a large shop charger to do it using distilled water in place of the acid and have access to new electrolyte when you get it cleaned out
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

:) These Vision's NEED a good, fully charged battery...Go to Walmart and spend $32 / $33.00 on a new battery. Take it home, fill, charge, then install it in your "V". Only then can you do a complete check on your charging system...You will need a decent volt meter!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Have you checked your stator to see if its charging the battery while your'e riding it?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Quote from: Tiger on April 23, 2008, 05:20:54 AM
:) These Vision's NEED a good, fully charged battery...Go to Walmart and spend $32 / $33.00 on a new battery. Take it home, fill, charge, then install it in your "V". Only then can you do a complete check on your charging system...You will need a decent volt meter!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Or recover it if you're feeling adventurous :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

packman85

Chivo,

Check your stator, there are tons of resources on this site to see if its functioning properly.  I had a brand new fully charged battery that did the same thing and it turned out my stator was toast.  Im willing to bet you stator is weak, or on its way out.  It just sounds exactly like mine was.
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

achie

Hey Ben, I have had that battery tested already and is only about 6 months old from when you picked her up...so the batt shouldn't be the prob.  There were a few times when I stalled and she wouldnt start right up but if I waited 10-15 mins she fires up right back again.

Rick G

Thats because the battery will self charge  (chemically)  Its most likely got a bad stator .  Ben , do as i say get a hold of Lucky  and buy one of his Cd's, it will make your life easier, it may even reduce your stress level ! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Chivo1944

same thing with me the guys on here think it could be a stator on the way out so that mught be one of my next purchases
Ben

Chivo1944

if i get a cd i will have to wait till next week i  dont have the money for it right now
Ben

achie

Quote from: Rick G on April 25, 2008, 01:19:45 AM
Thats because the battery will self charge  (chemically)  Its most likely got a bad stator .  Ben , do as i say get a hold of Lucky  and buy one of his Cd's, it will make your life easier, it may even reduce your stress level ! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey Rick - I should have bought that CD from lucky...probably would have gotten her fixed before I had to sell her...I miss her now and again :'( but at least I know she's in good hands    ;D

Chivo1944

yes dont worry i am taking good care of it sorry i named it "Hoss"
Ben

ps2/bikevision

may be barking up the wrong tree. but if it wont start when the engine is hot, and will start after you let it cool then i would check the starter. my blazer used to do that. i would have to wait 10-15min after shutting it off before it would start again. new starter fixed it completly.