News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Octane boosters in kreemed tanks?

Started by Tim, June 06, 2002, 06:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

I added some penzoil "outlaw" octane booster to my gas and about 30 miles down the road my rear carb seems to be stopped up.Is it possible the booster and kreem are not compatible??My heads have been milled so I really need some sort of octane booster,any suggestions??

Tim

Lucky

We have found that Berrymans B-12 fuel injector cleaner is awesome at cleaning out clogged carbs.  i talked to the people at POR-15 last year after someone here learned the hard way that berrymans eats right thru Kreem.  i wanted to know if it would do the same thing to the POR-15, they had me send them a can to analize and test on their coating. it turns out that Berrymans is basicly a concentrated paint thinner.  it has no effect on POR-15, but will eat right through Kreem...
at this point you will probably have to pull your carbs and dip them to get the Kreem out if the octain booster is the culpret.

the POR kit for fuel tanks includes stuff to remove old coatings fron tanks as well.

i have no financial interest in POR, it just works, i have a page link to them on my site at http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142
i also rebuild Vision carbs for $60 plus shipping if your interested.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tim

Thanx Lucky,I wish I had used the por-15 7 years ago when I used the kreem but I didnt know anything about the stuff ,I just used what the dealer had.I spent the extra time though and I think I came up with a well prepared tank for the kreem so maybe it will last,God willing.I called a dealer friend of mine and ask him about the octane booster and he didnt think that was the culprit,not that quick.So maybe my tank coating is safe.Thanx for the help.

Tim

Lucky

That was mostly just to let you know that we have found that some additives do affect Kreem, I don't know what's in octain booster, so i don't know what it would do to the coating. Just kind of a "be careful what you use" tip :)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

coyote_killer

I was just looking through these old posts and thought I'd update this post....It wasnt the kreem that had messed up my carbs....I had a 7 year old UNI air filter on it and a piece of rotten foam had got in one of the air circuits....So if you use Uni filters you had better keep them fresh....
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750