News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

out of storage.

Started by [jh], April 27, 2008, 05:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

Hello all!

I have properly stored my bike over the winter and now it is time to get er ready for the summer. ;D So naturally, I,  as a rookie have a few questions.  Is the gas in the tank with stabilizer any good? Is there any major work I should consider doing, even though she ran beautifully last year? I'm going to do the carbs, get the rear brakes done(or maybe try it myself), i think the front forks need some work, there's quite a dive when I brake hard. Is that something I could most likely do myself, with a moderate competence level? :-[ So there's work to be done, I would  much rather do as much as  I can to avoid any problems this year, any advice would be appreciated. oh ya I bought the bike last year so I don't know how much work has been done in the past.

Thanks. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o

wow!

Night Vision

gas should be ok.... or drain it into a can and put it into your car... then get your V some fresh
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

motorcyclezen

JH,

I just did my rear brakes, and took the opportunity to take care of the brace bar bolts too. This was only the second time I've done rear brakes on a bike, and it was pretty easy both times. Yesterday was the first time on a shaft-driven bike, and I thought it was much simpler, since I didn't have to mess with a chain and tensioner, cleaning, etc. Good 24" breaker to remove the 22m axle nut and 80 lbs of torque to put it back on. Don't forget new cotter pins!

Plenty of guys here who would talk you through it I'm sure.

Ditto draining the fuel and putting it in your car.

Ed--

Rick G

Any time you have the rear wheel off , you should put some grease on the drive splines and a bit on the rear Axel as well.
JH,  diving under hard braking is a vision  problem . There are three solutions  #1 is add air fittings  to the fork caps (a fairly simple project) #2 get a pair of Progressive fork springs  or #3  cut a piece of  3/4 inch PVC pipe , one incher longer than the  stock metal spacer.  I like the air  , but many have added Progressives , and for a budjet operation  try the PVC pipe
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

good suggestions Rick
In addition I would say...refresh your fork oil with 15wt or can go up to 20wt for a 'stiffer' feel
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I've always run ATF, it will vary, but its around 7 wt. I tried 15wt fork oil, but it was too stiff in colder weather.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

But Arizona doesn't have "colder" weather!  The three seasons I've experienced there are warm (January), warmer (April) and "hello, Satan" (August).   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Actually I was thinking of spring and late fall in MN. or even OR.
No, we get much milder winters here , but it still gets into the 20's, up here at 3500 feet . When I rode to Phoenix , last fall it was 42.deg, here in Kingman, when I pulled out at 8 am  and  46.deg. when I pulled back in at 8 pm. Phoenix on the other hand, was between 75 and 80 deg. and I cooked while I was down there.
Rick G