News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Cherry Bomb exhaust.....?

Started by vadasz1, April 29, 2008, 11:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Does anyone know what a Cherry Bomb glasspack exhast will sound like on a Vision?

Can it even be mounted?
I'm thinking that they could be even louder than the MACS if they are mountable. ;D ::)

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kwells

does cherry bomb even make an exhaust for a bike or are you referring to the 20.00 Autozone car muffler?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

williamruck

Quote from: kwells on April 29, 2008, 11:31:38 AM
does cherry bomb even make an exhaust for a bike or are you referring to the 20.00 Autozone car muffler?

:o :o  The $20 muffler would be hilarious on a vision.

vadasz1

kwells......yes the cheap red cigar shaped muffler.....I think it's $16.49 at Canadian Tire this week.

If it did work then all that would be needed is to spray them black to lok like MACS.  Or just leave them alone to standout.

Also do you guys remember the old THRUSH mufflers with the 'WOODY WOODPECKER" looking bird on it?  I wonder if connecting all four exhaust pipes into that would make a decent sound?  I would definately leave the graphics on it alone , as I think it looks cool in a cultish way. ;D ::)

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

packman85

Mac makes an exhaust for the Kawasaki GPZ750 that is a 4 to 1 with and automotive looking glasspack muffler the same size as one of the short cherry bombs.
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

With all the talk about modifying the exhaust and how difficult it is to cut and weld the stock exhaust, why hasn't anyone started with a set of MAC's and modified them?  They seem to be easier to work with than the stock system because of the lack of a collector and a more simple construction.
Could you not just take a set of macs, cut them down and either weld or bolt on another set of pipes?

Just a thought.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

vadasz1

David......I don't really think that cutting into a good set of MACS is a great idea.  But using a $20 glasspack and modifying that will not dent the wallet as much.  Plus if you screw up you can always return it and say that it must have been returned before and no one bothered to check the muffleer for modifications. ::) ::)

Rick G

A Visionary , named DT,  in MN,  used the front head pipe and fabricated everything else and mounted a sport bike muffler on the 2 into 1 , he built..  When he sold the bike the new owner didn't want what was left of the Macs  and I got them for shipping. When I crashed my first v  it destroyed everything on the exhaust system except the front head pipe , A marrage made in heaven! ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

the Macs seem to get rusty, but i can't remember anyone saying theirs were rusted out. they are cheap, seem to last & some like the sound
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

They do get rusty, Thats why its good to pull the core ,every now and again  and repack it , it gives you the opportunity to remove the rust and keeps it from welding it self in place.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

Part of the problem with the OEM exhaust is that there is no drain hole , but an even bigger fault is the thin metal its made from . This in spite of the fact that its heavy as a stone.
Rick G

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Rick G on May 01, 2008, 01:03:43 AM
They do get rusty, Thats why its good to pull the core ,every now and again  and repack it , it gives you the opportunity to remove the rust and keeps it from welding it self in place.

Therein lies the problem.  Still trying to get mine out....  They're in great shape but for some reason, the baffels are rusted stuck.  Either that or someone did a really good job welding them from the inside.  Must be a gremlin with a really little plasma welder.  :o

David

zore

Cherry bombs will sound roughly the same as the macs since they muffler design is essentially the same.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Rick G

YJ , I had thought of  standing them on end and pouring a quart of mineral spirits in each one . stuff a rubber ball in the  end to minimize leakage. I've had some success with drilling a1/4 inch hole in the end of the baffle core and using a slide hammer. A cheap one can be built with a piece of 1/4 drill rod , from ace hardware. You will need to come up with  some piece of iron to use as the hammer . I used a crankshaft half from a two stroke Kawasaki, I drilled a hole all the way through the center, installed it on the drill rod and welded a nut on the end. Bend a hook on the other end.
Rick G

Tiger

:) To remove my MAC baffles...

1 - Remove the  screw that holds in the baffle, at the rear of the muffler!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D... and soak the area with a good penetrating fluid...Let stand for 3 or 4 minutes.

2 - Take a set of vice grips and grab the lip at the top of the baffle tip, (were the fumes come out), real tight!!

3 -  Pull straight back on the vice grips with the left hand and with the right, pound on the vice grips with a dead blow hammer, (rubber, nylon, etc). I've done three sets of MAC's this way, without fail 8)

NOTE: Sometimes you may find that the baffles have been installed, by a past owner, who has used red R.T.V silicon... ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

tiger, tried 1, 2 and 3.  They are stuck good.

David

vadasz1

Well David looks like you'll be downgrading to the cherry bomb replacements then if you don't get it out. ::) ;D :D ;)

YellowJacket!

May spray a little phosphoric acid in there first....

David

reardeac

not sure what kind of penetrating oil you are using, but sometime aerokroil seems to be able to rellay get to the heart of the matter