Main Menu

Second fuel filter

Started by skipa82, April 26, 2008, 10:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipa82

I read a lot about installing a second fuel filter, My question is where to put it. I only ask because I have my carbs off for cleaning and now is the best time to add something like that to the bike. If anyone has any pictures that would be helpful in explaining where it should go that would be perfect
Thanks
Skip
"What would life be without monsters and Visions" Lilly Munster 1970's tv show.

Rick G

Sorry I can ' post pics, but the best place, on an '82 is behind  the  bracket the choke cable mounts on. The fuel line passes through it. I install the inline filter, in the line (natch) behind the bracket and replace the  hose  from there to the petcock  with new line . You will notice that  the line will try to kink , so use a piece that's  at least double the length, of what you cut off and loop it around , so it will  reach with out kinking.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

Boy, these photos are getting a work-out recently....

You can see the fuel filter coming out of the black ring at the bottom of the carbs.  Unless you have an 83, you don't have the second line coming out above it, nor do you have the 'T' connection above that (it's part of a return to the petcock that was put in the 83s to prevent vapor lock...)

I think some people put in a 90 degree filter there so things line up better with the petcock, I may consider it some day.  I just have a long loop to prevent the fuel line from kinking.

williamruck

I can post some pictures of mine but I added it on after I had put the carb back on so I just have a little extra fuel line between the carb and the petcock. It makes a funny loop but it works well enough. One added benefit is that while I was trouble shooting I was able to look down at the filter and tell whether or not fuel was running from the petcock to the carbs.  8)

ps2/bikevision

be carefull when you mount your filter. if you dont use a 90 degree filter make sure the filter is in a straight section of the line. if you mount it in a curve it will heat up from heat from the engine and will actually start to bend. it then can close off. it happend to me a few years back on the way to the dragon. i ended up pulling the filter off and ran without one to the next town where i bought another filter and some extra hose. this is the way i had to do it and didnt have another problem with it for the rest of the trip. i fixed it once i was home and moved the filter to just behind the hole that the stock line runs through.

kwells

Skip,
There are lots of threads on this subject.  A search will probably yield days of reading.

Here's one recently
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=7525.0

This is the filter that is pictured in that thread
http://denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=&catId=&productId=p182519&leafCatId=&mmyId=
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

williamruck

ps2 that is exactly what my second filter looks like, placement and everything.

ps2/bikevision

i didnt have a problem with the way it was routed. and with a different colored fuel line could look pretty cool. but i was afraid of it either vapor locking or some a$$ hat cutting the line. so i redone it when i got home and put a 90 in.

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ps2/bikevision

nope just live around alot of a$$ hats that think its fun to get rock salt shot in there a$$. i guess its a good thing when kids dont tell there parents that they just got an a$$ full of rock salt cause they were beign stupid and messing around were there not suposed to be. i learned a long time ago (trial by error) that you dont tell mom about the stupid stuff you did to get hurt.