Luckys Vision is dead! (NOT!!)

Started by Lucky, May 03, 2008, 09:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

i know thats right. i just pissed the grimlins off in my garage again. bet the new truck in the yard will be infected too. guess i should of just read the post and kept my fingers off the keys. ;D

tben

Lucky, when you turned your crank with the left side cover off was the starter gear in place? (the one that drops out half the time when the left case is taken off)
If it wasn't there then the starter clutch should have nothing to do with your problems right?
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

Rick G

Tben , so far lucky has only removed the small plate in the middle of the left cover. It provides access to  turn the motor for valve adjustments.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

tben

::) oops. should have read more carefully.
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

Walt_M.

It's my fault, I had just been thinking how many running Visions there are compared to 5 yrs ago when I first joined the forum!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

The starter is fucked! yippee!

brought it home,
rejumped the bike, then to the starter, same results.

drained the oil, pulled the starter...

Locked solid!!  YAAAYYY!!!!!

I have replacements.

I think she's getting a well deserved bath & polish later  :D :D :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

motorcyclezen

Awesome, Lucky. I think the most despair I've ever felt was when my bike wouldn't turn over. Glad your bike'll be back on the road again. That single "click" and then nothing just about took the fight right out of me back then.

So what's the maintenance tip for rookies like me to keep their starters from being hosed?

Viva la Vision!

Ed--

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on May 04, 2008, 11:51:43 AM
The starter is fucked! yippee!

::) As in broken/bust/siezed etc... :-[ :-[
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

ya.... no need for the FBomb oops... remember? that's what sets us above the rest of the forums

I know...
you just got excited... we are all for you  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

sometimes a blue word is necessary to properly describe the situation. I'm not shy about using them either, I'm married with children (I am Al Bundy...

Anyway, i think that since i had some poor excuses for body seals in there, there was a little rust & crud inside, plus lots of carbon crud from the brushes. the armeture was stuck to the magnets, & the bushing that is on the end of the splined shaft (drive end) kinda fell out. i think it's not supposed to do that...

anyway, she's fixed, & seems easier to start.

this starter may even be rebuildable.  I rebuilt Leathers starter & used that (great, one freshly painted part on an otherwise unremarkable appearing engine!!)

i think i have more members parts on my bike than original ones, lol!

--Lucky

Rick G

Now , lucky ,do you kiss your children with that mouth??? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm certainly glad that your problem is solved!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Regarding starter body seals: would liquid electrical tape painted around the seal area, in addition to the factory rubber, do the job?

h2olawyer

That's great news, Lucky.  Don't even have to remove the Stator cover.  Glad it was something you could cure quickly!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on May 04, 2008, 03:21:40 PM

i think that since i had some poor excuses for body seals in there, there was a little rust & crud inside, plus lots of carbon crud from the brushes. the armeture was stuck to the magnets, & the bushing that is on the end of the splined shaft (drive end) kinda fell out. i think it's not supposed to do that...

anyway, she's fixed, & seems easier to start.

guess you can add those to the statistics of why some bikes start harder than others  :)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

I had that in mind when i loaded it up on the trailer this morning..

kiawrench

you can be Al Bundy if you want,, but please, dont stick hand in front of pants while riding,, it may cause trouble with steering .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Lucky, I think is because your bike quit working that the site went down.  ;D  ;D  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)