News:

Main Menu

Just Looking

Started by h2olawyer, May 14, 2008, 01:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/660317417.html

I've been wanting a larger displacement bike for longer (multi-day) tours.  This is one of the bikes near the top of my list.  My main question for anyone out there who may know about the FJ1200, is what is the motor longevity like?  I know parts availability for these is much better than Visions.  This FJ has 70K miles on the clock and would likely need to be gone through next winter.  Any other experiences -- good or bad -- would be appreciated.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

joevacc

That looks great.
I can't talk first hand but I do know of two FJ's with over 80,000 miles on them. they show no signs of stopping.  Check it out. see what you think.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Rick G

I have no direct knowledge of them , but I do hear good things from people I trust.  2nd gear doesn't go out like ventures.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

If we get some nice weather here, I'll probably ride over to Greeley (40 miles) and give it a look-see.  (If it hasn't sold.)  The ones on eBay are going for about that same price (with lots fewer miles).  I know they're air cooled & have the normal chain maintenance hassles, but what I've read & heard about them is all positive.  Many of the engines are used for Legends class race cars.  I also know they have kick-@$$ power.   ;D  8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

George R. Young

QBS

H2, if you get this bike or any chain drive bike very seriously consider installing a Scotoiler automatic chain lubrication system.  In my opinion, it's right up there with a Battery Tender, Jr.

h2olawyer

Thanks all for your responses.  If I do get one (it may or may not be the one I linked above) the first planned modification is a Scotoiler.  I had a dirt bike before I got the Vision, so I'm familiar with chain maintenance.  There are some products that lube the chain & repel dirt - that's my only issue with the auto-oiler systems.  They don't normally have lubes that are dirt-phobic.  I'd tend to use it when on an extended ride, and then go to the daily / weekly spray on lube when staying close to home.  What ever system of lube I choose, taking the chain off & thoroughly cleaning it in kerosene a couple times a season is still a good idea.

H2O

Tiger

:) No "first hand" knowledge H... but one of those bikes on my list. I was looking at one a couple of weeks ago!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Walt_M.

I was all prepared to say 'go for it' too as I was interested many years ago. My caveat, the FJR! Liquid cooled, shaft drive, more power and not much heavier. Money would be the only issue. If someone put a gun to my head and said I had to buy a street bike tomorrow, I would try like h*ll to find a carbureted FZ-1!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Night Vision

I just got SmokeBomb inspected tonight at the dealer and looked at the new Kaws and Yams....

nothing really caught my fancy... the Versys was the only one that remotely interested me....

I think I'd like to try a 2006 Tiger though... it would prolly do power lines and dirt roads better than my V does... maybe  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) Here is one that I was contemplating...

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/672055379.html

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

sounds like he wants a Vision instead :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

From 3000 miles away it looks like a decent price for the bike.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

The only thing that may stop me from buying an FJ1200 this summer (the FJR would be great, but way too much $$$$$) would be if I find a Turbo Seca in the same price range - or less.  Or if I find a Vmax that needs some TLC, that may get in the way as well.  The GTS1000 is the top rung of my wants, but I doubt I can find one - even that needs work - in my price range.

H2O

Rick G

What about a tedum850? I'd love to have one of those!
Rick G

h2olawyer

The TDM850 would be cool, but the price, again.  I'm limited to under 2K (unless I can get Tractor fixed & sold soon).  Walt G has a TDM & likes it.

H2O

Rick G

As I have said I love twins, especially snorty ones with decent top end. I really like the looks of the TDM, I(t seems that if its really neat and runs and handles good , Yamaha  will stop making it after 2 years. If it has a lousy starter drive ,mediocre handling and weird handle bars, (Virago) then they will make it forever .
Rick G

Walt_M.

As a TDM owner, yes I do like it but mine did have issues. I put and electric fuel pump off an R1 on it, the diaphragm pump was toast at 20K miles. Also, in mild weather(above 75 deg F) if you do much in town riding it will get hot, quick. It is a dry sump motor and a sure candidate for an oil cooler.
Something else to consider is the riding position, it is much more upright than the Vision and the seat is taller.
I haven't been checking prices on them lately but I paid $2800 for mine 3 yrs ago. They are probably more rare than Visions over here but they are still in production as an aluminum framed 900 in Europe.
Whale oil beef hooked!