Main Menu

6th Gear

Started by mshowe, May 05, 2008, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mshowe

I recently eliminated my plug between my stator and rectifier and now it seems that I have a new vision.  It actually runs, reliably, again.  Like many of you, I've been haunted with electrical problems since I bought this "little lady" new in '85. 

Now that I am going to get to ride her a bit more, can anyone answer me this?  Has anyone ever come up with a good reason or explanation on why Yamaha didn't put a 6th gear in  Visions?  5100 RPM's at 55 is a bit excessive.  I don't feel comfortable going out on the Interstate and running her at 70MPH for miles and miles. 

Has anyone ever ran for extended periods of time at 70+ MPH?

Thoughts, experiences, condolences?

May you get to ride your Visions much this summer.  I am currently having a love hate relationship with mine, but mostly love right now.
1981 Honda XL 125S
1983 Yamaha Vision
1993 Yamaha Venture

Walt_M.

Not recently but in the mid '80s I did 3 trips of over 800 miles each with no problems. If you want to drop the revs a bit, you might want to get a Euro primary gear set and/or go to a 120 rear tire.
I have been running a 120 for a long time and have yet to install my Euro gearset.
Make sure you read the pistons and bearings post by Rick G. and thoroughly warm the bike before flogging, might save you a spun bearing.
Whale oil beef hooked!

VisionMeister

I rode to the 25 yr anniversary ride last year in Colorado. 1,000 miles out and 1,000 mi. back (Nev. and Ut were 100 degrees) 1,000 miles while there. No problem. The Vision loves to rev. Kenny rode from Canada about 1700 miles.
The motor is strong. The electrics are the weak link.

QBS

'99, homeward bound from SoCal to Houston, 1100 miles in 17 hrs., do the math.  odometer showed 72K at the time.  Vs will run a sustained 90-95 mph as long as there is gas in the tank.  Have made numerious trips to West Texas under just such conditions.  The V engine is amazing.

joevacc

I have been riding mine on interstates for many years now. I guess when I was 20 something I didn't think it was too big a deal... 20 something years later I do feel that the bike is less comfortable for 6+ hour days but not unbearable.  I have always wished for 6th gear!  I had to buy a modern bike for that!  8)  I'll be riding up to Tigers with NightVision in a couple of weeks and I am actually looking quite forward to it.

75 - 80 mph are not too bad on the V, the engine just sucks it up.  I am going to take it a lot easier on the old boy from now on because my V deserves it! I have ridden it extremely hard over the years and it has never missed a beat!  I am riding more than ever now but have two bikes to spread the miles over - so I hope to keep my Vision going forever!  I want to shine the old boy up and start entering it into some shows and vintage rides.

Take yours wherever you want - it'll go.  Every once in a while you will have to open it up a wiggle a connector or two... big deal... 

P.S.
All of us who do ride long distance could not shine a dime to Kenny of ROV fame who did more miles in one month last year than I did all year!
(i think he is a little coo-coo though  ;D )
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

packman85

I just did about 300 miles this weekend at 70+ most of the way on the freeway.  She runs fine in the higher RPMs for long term, just a bit loud.   
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

Rick G

It dosn't need a sixth gear . especially with the "euro primary gears" , mine turns 6400 rpm at 80 mph. I run frequently at 85 /90 mph ( here in Az we have miles and miles of miles)Mine won't pull anyware near redline in top gear , especially at altitude.
Back in '99 or 2000 , we have a fellow who bought one , and wanted to gear it up to make a Harley out of it , wanted to run 3500 rpm at 70, or some such nonsense.
The is Vision only 33 ci , and develops sufficiant torque  to pull the load,  only  by turning lots of rpm. With its 2 inch stroke and 3 + inch bore , it was made to rev. If you could gear it up very much , all you would do is lug the rod bearings out of it. Its a plain bearing engine and NEEDS to spin.
What Yamaha did wrong was to build the North American models with the lower gearing, I guess they figured we'er all hot rodders.
By the way , that fountain of information ,Don Minor revealed that the "euro gears"  are standard in the SR500 , so hit the junque yards guys or eBay, "sixth gear " is out there waiting for you.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

macroars

Sander and XZv2 have a nice little article about XZ-gears.

http://home.tiscali.nl/saniris/motor/XZgearing.htm

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Aelwulf

I rode mine in the 75-80 MPH range all the time in Colorado, especially between Denver & the Springs.  It does take a l'il bit of getting used to if you're not used to the higher RPMs but it does hold fine.  My Meanie likes higher RPMs too, at a whopping 2500-4000 range. :p Bit high for a cruiser I'd guess, but low for the Vision so will be interesting getting used to it again.  I don't bother worrying much about mine unless I get in the 8000+ range (if I'm remembering correctly), and that's just because I haven't spent much time there.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Tiger

8) Like a good whore...flog the a$$ off of her, ride her hard and put her away wet...She'll love you FOREVER!!!

These Vision's are made for ridin', go ride her... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Quote from: Tiger on May 07, 2008, 06:25:44 PM
8) Like a good whore...flog the a$$ off of her, ride her hard and put her away wet...She'll love you FOREVER!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

I just read that to my wife, she laughed out loud.. :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on May 07, 2008, 06:25:44 PM

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Actually, I prefer to dry mine off with a leaf blower rather than puting her up wet.  Keeps the spots off my chrome and shiny yellow paint.  ;D ;D ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

I would REALLY like to see you drying your whore off with a leaf blower, do you do this in the front yard, or in private?
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on May 08, 2008, 02:46:34 PM
I would REALLY like to see you drying your whore off with a leaf blower, do you do this in the front yard, or in private?
:D :D :D :D :D R A T F L M A O  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Nice one Ricky boy!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Thanks John, every now and then I get off a zinger. ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;) ;) ::) ::) ::)
Rick G

Night Vision

Quote from: mshowe on May 05, 2008, 10:09:45 AM

...... can anyone answer me this?  Has anyone ever come up with a good reason or explanation on why Yamaha didn't put a 6th gear in  Visions?  5100 RPM's at 55 is a bit excessive......

simple answer: because you are only half way to the start of the V's red line

don't be scared of 7k just because seven ate nine  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

yah...start to back off on the throttle at about 13.5k rpms
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com