News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Rattling cam chain?

Started by macroars, May 07, 2008, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macroars

There is a rattling sound from the engine, which I suppose is from the cam chain.

Before I start to take a closer look at it: Any experiences about what to or not to do here?

Do they ever break, or is it just to get proper  tensioned, and everything is OK?

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Lucky

there are 2 usual rattles on the Vision, both fixable.  the first is a knocking that sounds like the bottom end is going, it's actually the starter clutch working loose. the diagnosis is that it goes away over 2500 rpm.

the second is loose balancer gear nuts same sound but doesn't go away at any rpm.

i'm not aware of cam chain problems ever on this bike, but there is a first time for everything.  also, might be time for a valve adjustment
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

The vision has a Hivo type cam chain, that should last the life (or two) of the bike. The adjustment is automatic and requires no attention.  I have yet to see a vision with cam chain problems.
Its probably one of the two problems ,Lucky mentioned . Both are easily repairable.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

ROVer to unsuspecting seller:
"Yep, sounds like a rod bearing to me...give ya $50 for her & will even haul it away free!"  (~snicker~)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Lucky , you devil you! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike