News:

Main Menu

Wheel Balancing

Started by acee125, May 07, 2008, 05:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acee125

How big of a deal is it to make sure that you get your wheels balanced after you mount new tires? I know that you should on cars but I remember reading some earlier posts on ROV that said it wasn't a big deal. Is that true? Have any of you ran new tires without balancing them? I need new tires but I don't want to pay the stealership $35 a wheel off of the bike. Thanks

Aelwulf

Pricey stealership.  The one I got the Meanie at asks $50 for both off the bike.  Since I don't have tools or experience seemed decent enough considering.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Walt_M.

Definitely worthwhile to check balance, it can save you some vibration problems later. I do my own, static balance only but it has been good enough. FWIW, the Metzelers I put on my TDM a couple years ago only needed 1/4 oz on the rear tire and nothing on the front, rides smooth as a baby's butt.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

Quote from: Walt_M. on May 07, 2008, 05:51:52 PM
Definitely worthwhile to check balance, it can save you some vibration problems later. I do my own, static balance only but it has been good enough.

8) DITTO, I do static balance too... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Static here, too.  If it's good enough for most GP race teams, it's good enough for me.   ;D

I used bearings from an old, unused set of rollerblades & made a balancer that rests on jackstands.  You can use a steel bar the same diameter as your axle or even the axles themselves.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kevin

You can get on you tube and find the no-mar wheel balancing demo. It shows you how to balance wheels.  I've ridden many miles on unbalanced tires.

Rick G

Tyres that have the yellow dot , indicating  where the valve stem should go ,usually need little or no added  weight opposite the stem. Even cheap Cheng shin's require litle ballancing.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

When I added the dual discs to my 82 front wheel, I didn't check the balance of each disc.  After getting it all together, but before installing the tire, I tested the balance & it was off by over 2 ounces.  When I put the new tire on later this month, I'll take the discs off, balance each one then install them with the heavy points as close to 180 degrees apart as possible.  Otherwise, Rick is correct - motorcycle tires are normally very close to perfect when installed properly.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I'm amazed that machined uniform parts would be that far out! :o :o :o
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 08, 2008, 12:50:49 AM
When I added the dual discs to my 82 front wheel, I didn't check the balance of each disc.  After getting it all together, but before installing the tire, I tested the balance & it was off by over 2 ounces.  When I put the new tire on later this month, I'll take the discs off, balance each one then install them with the heavy points as close to 180 degrees apart as possible.  Otherwise, Rick is correct - motorcycle tires are normally very close to perfect when installed properly.

H2O

Hmmmmmmm.....I didn't think of that.  May be why I have a little front end vibration since installing the dual brakes.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

Mine Vibrate like h**l , but only when I have the brakes on very hard. My right rotor is 35 thousands out of true and the  left 10. The came off the vision racer and it was used hard. At some point I'm going to have to find a fix or replacement.
Rick G

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rick G on May 08, 2008, 02:50:27 PM
Mine Vibrate like h**l , but only when I have the brakes on very hard

Mine vibrate when I brake hard, but it doesn't sound like it's as bad as yours.  I noticed it on Saturday when needing to brake hard.

Brian

Night Vision

getting back to the tires..... sort of...

my brother just returned a brand new front Battlax to DK. When we changed two tires a coule of weeks ago, we didn't balance either one... (no time/no equip)...

anyway, his pony was pogo-ing at a moderate gallop, so he went to a shop and had them "balanced".

still wasn't right so I told him to check them for out of round..

yepper.... front tire had a 8-12" welp in it...

just goes to show.... you can "balance" an out of round tire.... just like a battery with a dead cell can show 12V  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

My front brake will rattle your teeth out! I only use it w absolutly necessary and then very gingerly. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Rick G