Remounting front tire, bead question.

Started by Extent, July 07, 2004, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extent

Ok, so I've got the old tire off, and a 100/90 Supervenom on my front rim right now.  I'm following about a half dozen set of instructions I found online (which are all just about the same) and a set of instructions from an SV650 Clymers guide (also about the same thing).  I inflate the tire to between 50 and 60 PSI and the bead seems to seat (The bead line around the rim is even all the way around on both sides, I checked this @20 psi) and the bead dosen't leak anywhere, but it never pops.

When I deflate the tire allll the way the bead pulls away from the rim again on both sides in one quarter of the tire (different quarter each time)  If I keep even as little as like 5 PSI (guestimate) in the tire the bead keeps and dosent pull away from the rim.  I tried leveraging the bead on one side of the tire up onto the beadseat by hand with tireirons by reaching thru the opposite side of the tire and pulling the bead upwards onto the seat, but whenever I get the one part that's off on another part slips back off the seat.

When I pulled the old tire off I do remember that the bead didn't take much effort at all if any to break off, it also didn't make a sound and offered no resistance at all, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to it at the time to see if it was doing the same thing.  Could this just be from the rim being relatively narrow?  I'm heading out to pick up a ratchet tie down strap since that's the only thing I haven't tried yet, but I'm looking for other opinions ;)
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Walt_M.

Try some tire mounting lube, it should pop right on.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Extent

I've been using a mist of soapy watter from a spray bottle, does the lube make that big a difference?
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.

Walt_M.

You probably aren't using enough soap. I've used dish washing liquid, straight from the bottle, worked good but I've been told it can corrode our aluminum rims. I don't know for sure so I can't recommend it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Riche

How soapy is the water? I mounted the very same tire last summer using dish detergent with very little water. The bead did not pop out with a sound but was even all around. I changed both front and rear to the super venom. Very nice tires. Did you clean the rim in the bead area? I mean get it real clean with something like scotchbrite. I believe you had it where you needed it to be before you delfated the tire the last time. When I inflate a tire after mounting I remove the valve core so the air goes in faster.

Side note, my bike is running great this year. Love this bike.

Extent

It is more water than soap.  I added soap until my fingers smootly glided over each other when I rubbed them together.   I scrubbed the inside of the wheel with steel wool and rinsed it down with Simple Green.  I've got the valvecore out.  I looks like it's seated properly except for when it's completely and utterly flat.  I would think it's fine, w/ the indicator being even and all, I just didn't want to make any assumptions.  When you mounted your tires did you deflate them all the way before bringing them up to cold pressure or did you just drop them to 20 PSI?

This is just my last major worry point w/ the bike, old tire had cracks in the tread, cracks all along the sidewall (1k miles left on the tire my foot!)  Then I've just got nonsafty basics to deal with, R/R reloc, resync carbs and probably a dip (must cure the 5k flatspot) must do something about the Uni filter etc.  I can't wait to get back on the sucker ;D ;D ;D

Riche

After the beads were in place the valve core was inserted and the pressure brought to 30 something psi. Right now I don't remember the exact pressure I use. Remember with any foam air filter inspect the seams. Most are glued, inspecting was noted in a recient post here. When I rode dirt bikes the oil I used on foam filters was BelRay foam filter oil. It's VERY sticky. Be advised you will need solvent or LOTS of soap to remove it from your hands.

Extent

Ya the filter is in ok condition, the glue holding the black "seal" on the botton has lost all of it's holding power and is loose.  I'm going to just stick a stock Yamaha paper filter on there for now, and save the Uni for reinstallation later, since I need a bunch of stuff from Yamaha anyway (Autozone oilfilters are ever so slightly oversized for the bike and crush a bit when installed, and I even avoided the Fram!)

GA_Wolf

You may not hear a bead setting "pop".  That usually occurs when a tire's inside diameter is slightly smaller than the shoulder size of the rim.  Then when the pressure builds up inside the tire and inner part of the rim, the tire "pops" it's bead to the bead wall of the rim.  You say the tire slips on and off the bead easily..that tells me that the inner diameter is not smaller than the rims shoulders.  Nothing wrong with that as long as it isn't so much larger that you can't get the air to build up and seat the tire. Thats why sometimes you have to play with the tire as you start filling it with air, to get enough seal to start the pressure build. If your bead line seems even around the tire and the tire is up against the bead wall, you should be good.   To ensure it is sealed, pump it top pressure, bounce the tire all the way around, put soapy water around the the tire/rim joint and valve stem and look for leaks.  If it doesn't bubble or lose pressure, then you are seated.

h2olawyer

Just a couple quick notes on mounting motorcycle tires:

Make sure you line up the mark with the valve stem
- usually a yellow or white circle on sidewall

Make sure you have the tread oriented the right way
- should be an arrow on the sidewall

Don't ride hard for the first 100 miles
- allows for the bead to properly seat on the rim

It sounds like you are getting the bead to seat well enough to hold air & if there are no noticeable gaps between the tire & rim and it is holding pressure, you should be OK.

If you get it mounted & looking right but are still unsure of it, take it to a reputable mechanic or dealer & offer them a few bucks or beers to look at it just to be safe.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.