82' or 83' carbs what is best

Started by paintermatt, May 15, 2008, 09:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintermatt

I have an 82' that I have had the carbs off cleaned and re sinked by I am still  having issues.  I have an 83' parts bike am I better off using the 83' carbs?

Tiger

:) First post and I get to answer....scarey, eh!!! ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

To answer your question...Not really...Once you have cleaned and synced your '82 carb's right, you should be trouble free...'ish!!  ;D :D :D ;) They MUST be REALLY clean... :o

What issues are you having mate  ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

paintermatt

Ruff idle,  a hesitation above 5000rpm,  but when I get past 5 I have good power, and small puddle on fuel on ground after 20 mile ride.

Blake

sounds like they could use a good cleaning and a sync.  Clean, be sure all passages and jets are clean (an airgun with a rubber tip works wonders with this), a good sync and you should be good to go.  Just to clarify by cleaning im suggesting taking the carbs completely apart and letting them soak in chem dip for a while.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

YellowJacket!

If your YICS The Triangular chrome covered thing on the right side of your bike) for leaks.  Will cause all sorts of problems if it is leaking.  Either fix it or plug off the ports.

Welcome to ROV!  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

macroars

What is the experiences with YICS box present (and working) versus ditched?

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

h2olawyer

There are mixed reports.  I find my bike idles smoother & with the idle adjustment screw backed out farther with a functioning YICS.  I also feel it has a bit more low end with it than without.  That observation is more subjective and the difference is not very great.  Some claim no difference.  If the YICS is leaking, then the bike definitely runs better with the system deactivated.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

check your float heights and/or needles/seats to stop puddling
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Drain screw o-rings. If they're bad they'll cause leakage.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

jasonm.

what is your definiation of "cleaned". Spray cleaners do very little. The carbs must be "dipped" in the proper liquid. Available at many Auto parts stores in a gallon bucket. All rubber parts and gaskets require removal. There a tiny o-rings behind the pilot screws. So use caution and take your time. These chemicals do their business in just and hour or so. Sometime less. If you have not dipped them...they ain't clean.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

My experience  with butterfly shaft carbs is to dip no more that 1/2 hour . There is a seal on each end of the butterfly shaft which can be damaged, by too much time in the dip.Yamaha never sold them, but they can be gotten from Polaris, I have the number some where.  Its not advisable to  remove the butterfly shafts, as the butterfly screws are staked and will be destroyed on removal and require you to find suitable substitutes.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Quote from: inanecathode on May 15, 2008, 06:30:32 PM

not exactly, the o-rings only seal the screw to the outside if the level in the carbs goes over the overflow tube inside the carb. the taper on the end of the screw is what seals the overflow drains.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Quote from: Lucky on May 15, 2008, 11:34:23 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on May 15, 2008, 06:30:32 PM

not exactly, the o-rings only seal the screw to the outside if the level in the carbs goes over the overflow tube inside the carb. the taper on the end of the screw is what seals the overflow drains.

--Lucky

Both yj and i had bad orings, upon replacement leakage ceased :)
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Lucky

yeah, because they seated better and/or pulling them flushed some crap out, but what do i know, i'm new here...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

I never totally dipped my carbs for more than 30 min. Others I just put the solution in the bowls.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules