News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New Owner

Started by Shop Rat, May 15, 2008, 06:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

You should see all the catch bottles on the Formula Mazda.  One for coolant (water) and two for the oil (has something to do with the design of the 13B Mazda rotary engine).  Most I've ever seen in either oil bottle is just enough to dirty the inside of the bottle.  The race kart has a catch bottle for the oil as well & it gets filled pretty fast.  Needs emptying between races or about every 20 laps.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

arfa vmax

hi shop rat i am building a bobber from my xz and i have got a set of dellorto drla 36's to try and fit.

Shop Rat

Quote from: arfa vmax on September 07, 2008, 03:29:55 AM
hi shop rat i am building a bobber from my xz and i have got a set of dellorto drla 36's to try and fit.

Got any pics?
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

vadasz1

Here's what I found after a google search.  Very interesting, but will they fit stock or do you need a very custom carb boot?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=648676
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

arfa vmax

The two chokes are closer together than on the original carbs.If they are the same diameter I had thought about turning a collar for between the head and the carb rubber to make them the same.I have just started work on the bike again after getting rid of a couple of other projects.Sorted a yamaha front end from simcha and am looking at a ducatti rear shock.

kev10104

I can definately see why everybody loves these bikes.I ride as much as I can.I am having trouble starting the bike when it is cold or has'nt been started for a few hours.I got stranded at work yesterday morning because it was a little wet out and my bike wouldn't start.Pisses me off but once I get it going it runs great.I actually rode for about 6 hours today.Nodody seems to have a clue what the problem is.anybody have any suggestions?

inanecathode

Quote from: vadasz1 on September 08, 2008, 08:57:03 PM
Here's what I found after a google search.  Very interesting, but will they fit stock or do you need a very custom carb boot?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=648676

Thats hot.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

Kev, try putting the petcock on PRI,  (prime) for 2 or 3  minuets , and then quickly twist the throttle a couple of times (this will cause the accelerator pumps to squirt a couple of shots of gas into each carb) put the choke on about 1/2  and crank it . If its really cold try full choke , but reduce it to 1/2 choke when it fires. 
Report back on how this has affected the cold starting. Also put the petcock back on  the run position , when it fires.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kev10104 on September 26, 2008, 12:59:29 AM
I can definately see why everybody loves these bikes.I ride as much as I can.I am having trouble starting the bike when it is cold or has'nt been started for a few hours.I got stranded at work yesterday morning because it was a little wet out and my bike wouldn't start.Pisses me off but once I get it going it runs great.I actually rode for about 6 hours today.Nodody seems to have a clue what the problem is.anybody have any suggestions?

My starting routine for cold starts: Half Choke, twist throttle three times and hit the start button.  On cold days it starts on the first or second start.
For warm starts, one or two - if needed - twists of the throttle and hit the start button.  Starts right up.

Whenever Lucky comes over, warm the bike up for a few minutes then cut it off before he gets here.  Hit the start button and it starts right up....and smile really big.

If you are haveing starting issues especially when it is cold, check your battery. These bikes need ample amounts of juice to start.  If you are riding it and it starts right up, its probably because you got a good charge.  If the bike sits overnight and does not start, you battery is draining.

You may also want to check your grounds and connections.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Shop Rat

Quote from: Rick G on September 26, 2008, 02:37:17 AM
Kev, try putting the petcock on PRI,  (prime) for 2 or 3  minuets , and then quickly twist the throttle a couple of times (this will cause the accelerator pumps to squirt a couple of shots of gas into each carb) put the choke on about 1/2  and crank it . If its really cold try full choke , but reduce it to 1/2 choke when it fires. 
Report back on how this has affected the cold starting. Also put the petcock back on  the run position , when it fires.

Will switching to a hotter plug make starts easier? It cured my Honda 4 of cold-blooded behavior.

FC
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

zore

I ride the thing in 40f temps all the time and never have an issue with starting.  The only time it's harder to start is if it sits.  Then I have to put the petcock on prime for the bowls to fill.

I'm not sure how heat range would effect cold start when it comes to replacing plugs.  I could see that the simple act of replacing old plugs with new plugs may make a difference.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Rick G

Hotter plugs will not promote easier starting , unless the bike is miss jetted.. If  too hot a plug is used , engine damage can result.  I have experienced motorcycles over the years, that would go from too lean , to too rich ,without ever finding just right. .
many factors can affect starting , condition of the plugs ,wires ,plug caps, and the state of tune of the carbs, among others.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kev10104

I appreciate all the advice and will try the prime tomorrow.I had the stator replaced recently which was definately a must and it charges awesome now.It's just that first start that is a bugger.It rarely starts right away as it is but when it's warm it's not to bad.All you guys are great on here and i've mentioned this site to some of my friends because of the great help and willingness to help coming from everybody.Thank you all.

kev10104

I put in on prime today and tried to start it but had the same result.It takes anywhere from 8-15 times before it starts.When it does start it dies and I have to try again.

Night Vision

what is your starting proceedure? you may have to experiment and find what she wants.

some want full choke, don't touch the throttle

some need a couple of twists of the grip, then hit the starter.

some need to roll the throttle on whilst cranking.

if you are doing 8-15 tries, becareful you don't wear out your starter brushes...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

zore

Quote from: kev10104 on September 27, 2008, 09:56:51 PM
I put in on prime today and tried to start it but had the same result.It takes anywhere from 8-15 times before it starts.When it does start it dies and I have to try again.

This will be a setup issue.  Dirty carbs, incorrect mixture, out of wack mixture, leaky yics?   Could be any number of things.  What I will say is when you have everything  set how it should be, she's right as rain.  Some times it just takes some work to get there, but you'll get there provided you realize that where you are at now is not the end of the road.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kev10104

I have tried every procedure.Full choke,half,no choke roll the throttle and it is all the same.The funny thing is that it started better before I had the stator replaced.I always had to charge the battery but it started better.I even tried to charge the battery this time to make sure it had full juice but no such luck.I have put in some carb cleaner hoping this would help with no success.

Tiger

:) Kev, were are you located again.... ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

so, after it is running ... it starts fine eh?     meaning: after it's warmed up, she'll restart ok....

get new plugs, wires and caps...

good chance the wires/caps are 25 years old..

....and if you haven't invested $5 and put new plugs in since you got it... shame on you!

if you did, good on you, now finish the job!
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

If , after you go through the ignition, it still has difficulty starting, think about sending me your carbs. More than likely they need to be dipped.
Rick G