News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Yamaha Vision vs Suzuki SV650 vs Ducati M620

Started by acee125, May 15, 2008, 07:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acee125

How do you guys think the Vision compares to the SV650 and M620? The V's power is on par with both of them. I know that the suspension and braking are both out dated compared to the other bikes but what about a slightly modified Vision? Say an 83 with a set of Mac's, jasonm's R1 brake upgrade, and progressive fork springs?

The more I wrench and read on the Vision the more I think it was way ahead of its day.

Tiger

:) The Vision was way ahead of its time... 8) I'd run against any bike for fun...on my choice of roads. It is, in part, the rider as much as the bike he rides... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

I've ridden the SV650, it  has slightly more torque, but then its 100 cc bigger and probably somewhat lighter. I didn't like the riding position at all , although it wouldn't be all that hard to modify it , I've seen several that had mounting plates added to lower and move the foot rests and control's  farther forward. I've always considered my vision the equal of the SV650.
As to the Ducati , the only ones I've ever ridden were 160 250 and 350 singles. The  620 is the lowest form of Ducati,  but I imagine the suspension and brakes are better than the Vision, but I believe the vision could out power it any day!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

packman85

Quote from: Rick G on May 15, 2008, 08:07:43 PM
The  620 is the lowest form of Ducati,  but I imagine the suspension and brakes are better than the Vision, but I believe the vision could out power it any day!

Ive ridden a ducati monster 620 and honestly there is nothing you could do to a vision too help it compete with that machine.  Its faster, lighter, tourqeir and more agile.  Dont get me worng, the vision is a great bike but not on par with new sport and naked bikes. 
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

Rick G

I was going by what CW had to say about it , they seemed disappointed
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

acee125

I'm thinkin my next bike is going to be an older M900. It's not the most powerful or up to date but it has roughly 80hp, its naked, a v-twin, and not as common to see. Plus, you can still pick them up for a decent price. It just has that "cool" factor, kinda like the Vision does. Honestly, after riding my Vision, it has completely changed the way I think about motorcycling. I like the more upright riding position, and I have to admit, I'm hooked on the V-twin. The sound and the torque are awesome!

Glyn

I hated the standard bars on the Vision. I tried the short and the longer types.
After mounting standard Honda CX 500 bars, onto SV650 risers it has become one of the most "feels right" bikes I've ever ridden.

acee125

zore

Quote from: acee125 on May 15, 2008, 11:29:52 PM
I'm thinkin my next bike is going to be an older M900. It's not the most powerful or up to date but it has roughly 80hp, its naked, a v-twin, and not as common to see. Plus, you can still pick them up for a decent price. It just has that "cool" factor, kinda like the Vision does. Honestly, after riding my Vision, it has completely changed the way I think about motorcycling. I like the more upright riding position, and I have to admit, I'm hooked on the V-twin. The sound and the torque are awesome!

Stock, my 95 m900 put out 73hp (ducati used rwhp up until 2003 or so)  The bike puts out 86 rwhp and 65 foot/lbs of torque.  It weighs about 390 pounds with fluids.

The sv650 puts out about 65 rwhp and weighs about 429 pounds wet stock.

The new M696 puts out about the same hp as a stock m900 did in 95 and weighs less stock.  A tasty bike for sure.

The R5.5 weighs in at under 470 pounds with fluids and going my yamaha's over exagerated HP figures, It probalby puts out around 45hp at the rear wheel (remember shaft drive).  Given it's old suspention and tire design and you really don't have much of a chance on the track. 

The street however, is another story.  Lets face it, you can only go so fast on the street safely, so unless you are trying to follow some ya-hoo with a death wish, the vision can still do just fine.   I can only describe riding the vision to the likes of riding a heavy dirt bike/super moto with not so good suspention.  It's still a ton of fun.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

acee125

[quote author=zore link=topic=8717.msg80045#msg80045 date=1211205024
Stock, my 95 m900 put out 73hp (ducati used rwhp up until 2003 or so)  The bike puts out 86 rwhp and 65 foot/lbs of torque.  It weighs about 390 pounds with fluids.
[/quote]

What all did you do to your monster to bump it from 73rwhp to 86rwhp?

zore

High compression pistons, FCR 41 carbs, DynaCoils, aluminum fly wheel, aluminum clutch basket with plates, and I'm sure there is more.  The key thing on that bike is that it feels much faster than it is.  When you open the throttle, it just pulls, harder than any bike i've ever ridden.  Ofcouse all that fun shuts off at 9000 rpm or so, but it has some low end grunt.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

acee125

Yeah, I bet that thing is just a hoot to ride!

acee125

Zore,

Why do you refer to the Vision as R5.5?

zore

I have all sorts of names for it.  I was in reference to it not quite being a yzf r6 so r5.5 it is.  I've also referred to it as an XZ550RR SP0 LE etc.  On going joke between me, myself and I.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

acee125