News:

Main Menu

Quick question about Loudness

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, July 03, 2004, 09:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

Hey all. I have gotten this bike to fire, not properly. However, when it does fire up, it is LOUD! I mean LOOUUDD! the ground next to it vibrates. It's the engine, as opposed to the pipes that is loud. Sounds like a dam harley. I was just wondering if that indicates something specific. I know there is a list of things I need to do but, Man, this thing was loud. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Back_in_the_Saddle

;D ;D ;D
Lucky.........you're killin' me. I guess I asked for it. I'm not sure if the bike is supposed to be that loud. Believe me, I consider a louder bike to be a plus, as far as people in cars noticing you, but, it just seemed louder than what I thought it would be.

Blake

one thing you might want to check is if the exhaust is drilled out..  get a long skinny wooden rod and shove it down the hole.. if you can go further than 8" or so (around there, dont quite remember) then your baffle plate have been drilled through.  When i drilled mine it definately made an increase in noise.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

harry_angel69

I just finished working on a Honda CX500 and the factory exhaust was extremely loud.  The mufflers look exactly the same as my vision except with more rust.  After I jumped back holding my ears and screaming I noticed that that baffles were gone.  We are talking about rusted out and strait out megaphone stlye.  Your baffles have either been cut out or rusted out.  Be careful rusted out baffles can clog and reduce preformance.  The stock hole is about one inch in the center of the muffler.  The CX's exhaust outlets were the complete inside diameter of the muffler (about 4 inches).  The stock vision exhaust is not that loud even at 10k rpms  
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

GA_Wolf

Also check the pipe/exhaust manifold joints...if they are loose it will be loud and sound like it's coming from the motor.  The Y-pipe in the back sometimes come loose in the clamps and the metal washers back out a bit and it gets loud.

Walt_M.

Yes, there is a lot of mechanical noise from the engine, especially for a liquid cooled bike. Most of the noise should be due to the straight-cut primary gears. I'm pretty sure I remember that you've done your starter clutch and balancer/gears. Have you checked valve clearance yet?
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

If the loud you refer to is exhaust noise them I suspect that the copper rings in the clamps  at the Y pipe  on the rear cylinder are worn out . My first Vision was quite loud  and when I tightend the clamps it didn't help.
The easiest way to replace them is to remove the rear wheel , ao you can get at the lower clamp on the y pipe . Remove the rear foot pegs  and you will be able to lower the exhaust  enough to change the copper rings .
I use a  5mm  socket  wrench (allen ) on a 8 inch  3/8  entension to get at the clamps on the top of the Y pipe, it helps a lot .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike