News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Open Exhaust...?

Started by acee125, May 16, 2008, 06:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acee125

reardeac,

Assuming I like my Mac's once I get them. I will probably sell them.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: vadasz1 on May 18, 2008, 06:50:55 PM
motorists will definately know you are near them on the highway.

Well, they'll know you're in front of them.  Loud pipes don't do much if you're behind someone...

Brian

Walt_M.

All this 'loud pipes' talk is assuming all the other drivers in all the other vehicles around you can hear or don't have their sound systems cranked up so loud they can't hear anything else. Anyone's best defense is to be as aware as possible of their own surroundings. How is that possible if the only thing you can hear is your own vehicle?
Whale oil beef hooked!

reardeac

one of my other rides is a ural. the transmission is full of square cut gears that crunch every time i shift.... it sends cold chills down the spines of everyone near. the ural riders have a saying..... loud gears save lives

Walt_M.

Ok, if you ride a Ural you may not be run over by a pedestrian while you are shifting gears!
Whale oil beef hooked!

reardeac

i had a mb unimog and wasnt any less likely to be the victim of stupid drivers than on a bike. the best offense is good defense

h2olawyer

Like the dealer told me the day I bought my Vision -- "There are two types of drivers on the road, those that don't see you & those that are aiming for you."  Sage advice.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

macroars

My mc-teacher repeated several times during the driving lessons: to live long, you ought to understand those driving cars as dumb, blind and deaf.
MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

h2olawyer

Quote from: macroars on May 19, 2008, 01:11:10 AM
My mc-teacher repeated several times during the driving lessons: to live long, you ought to understand those driving cars as dumb, blind and deaf.

But I'll bet they play a mean pinball.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 19, 2008, 01:31:23 AM
Quote from: macroars on May 19, 2008, 01:11:10 AM

But I'll bet they play a mean pinball.   ;D

H2O

;) but they need "a suple wriiiiiiist"... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

I don't think loud pipes make much difference to people in cars...just the ones out of them.  For instance, many new cars...especially luxury cars, have so much sound deadening crap in them that you  cant hear a bomb go off.  Add inthe high end noise cancellling sound systems a cell phone, latte, and three screaming kids and you still have a recipie for disaster.  Teenagers intheir cars with loud stereos (youn inattentive drivers) are not going to hear loud pipes.  And even me, in my 2002 accord, can't hear them until they pass me.
This phenomenon is why many fire/rescue/police departments are having so much trouble.  I don't play my music loud and can't hear an ambulance until it is right on me.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 19, 2008, 09:28:51 AM
This phenomenon is why many fire/rescue/police departments are having so much trouble.  I don't play my music loud and can't hear an ambulance until it is right on me.

And ambulances, fire-trucks, police cars have their sirens facing forward, not just back like an exhaust pipe would be.

Brian

acee125

Good point! I also rarely hear a police car, fire truck, or medical vehicle until they are right on top of me.

h2olawyer

That's why I drive a cage with the same scanning I use on the bike.  Check all rear view mirrors often - at least once every 15 seconds.  I like to know where everyone around me is.  In most situations, the emergency vehicle won't catch you that quickly, giving you time to get over to the edge of the road to let them pass.

Around here, the law is to pull over as far as possible & come to a stop to let the emergency vehicle pass.  When I moved here in the late 80s, it was like the parting of the Red Sea.  Traffic in BOTH DIRECTIONS would pull over & stop.  Today, I often see traffic continuing at or over the speed limit, in the left lane, forcing the emergency vehicles into the turn lanes (if available) or into the oncoming lane to get past them.   ::)

With today's technology, maybe they could start putting a small receiver in each car to give the driver a warning that emergency vehicles are approaching from the rear or side.  Just a thought.

H2O

Lucky

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 19, 2008, 03:16:05 PMWith today's technology, maybe they could start putting a small receiver in each car to give the driver a warning that emergency vehicles are approaching from the rear or side.  Just a thought.

H2O

they have one already, although it's organic not electronic, it's called "My Wife" ! :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

The main problem with organic warning devices is that they can be one of the biggest driving distractions as well.

H2O

inanecathode

Bigger crash bars on fire trucks should do it.
Speaking of, whats most annoying is if you're on a divided highway or street, and theres an ambulance coming down the oppisite lane of traffic (remember now, big concrete wall between the sides of the highway) everyone on my side pulls over.
Really. Whats the ambulance going to do? Jump the barrier? Toss out an EMT with a parachute into our side of the highway? Really, i'm curious.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

CO drivers in general lack common sense.  They will actually nearly cause accidents instead of simply slow down and be aware.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Maybe some kind of radio controlled ejection seat . If you don't pull over , you get shot through the roof of your car!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike