Do these look alright to you?

Started by Windjammer, May 24, 2008, 06:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Wind, there may  be another option . Call Dennis kirk and ask for a tech, then explain  what you want. DK has a large assortment of intake rubber manifolds .
A visionary named , Guzzi John , who doesn't come here anymore , used this technique to get a set for his vision (and other bikes )  . They ran 18.00 each in 2000 dollars.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Windjammer

Maybe next year. I'm on a mission to get this bike done and on the road for under $1K this year. I'll post a pic after I get them patched.

Quote from: inanecathode on May 25, 2008, 11:12:13 PM
I would just replace them, the parts are available.

Windjammer

Hey Rick, I just re-read this. Are you saying that DK might have replacement boots that will fit a V for way cheaper than stock?

Quote from: Rick G on May 26, 2008, 12:40:49 AM
Wind, there may  be another option . Call Dennis kirk and ask for a tech, then explain  what you want. DK has a large assortment of intake rubber manifolds .
A visionary named , Guzzi John , who doesn't come here anymore , used this technique to get a set for his vision (and other bikes )  . They ran 18.00 each in 2000 dollars.

YellowJacket!

Got mine form dgy.com

Edit:  Went here: http://www.dgy.com/fiche_select.asp?vcc=Motorcycles&mfg=Yamaha&year=1983
and it doesn't pull up the parts fiche for either the 82 or 83 any more but you can put in parts numbers.  If I remember correctly, I have done the parts number in the past and they had the parts in stock.
the only think I don't like about DGY is that you have to sign for the packages when they arrive from UPS.  Otherwise, never had a problem from them.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

Yep , Wind, thats what I'm saying! ;D ;D Be prepared to measure the various openings and distances . I recommend a metric scale. 
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Windjammer

Rick & YJ, thanks. I'm still of the mindset that I have to learn to be a Blacksmith to fashion parts for this machine.  ;)  I'll learn yet...  I coated'em with the rubberized undercoating - it looks, pretty good and I *think* it should work fine, but damn! I would've paid $50 or so to get new ones. It was the prospect of spending $150 or so that turned me to the dark arts.  :-\

jasonm.

That gunk is oil baked on the back side. The valve gunk is the result of either the engine being overfilled. OR the guides are worn.   I did as QBS on the clutch bolts. Make sure you ABSOLUTELY Degrease the threads. Loctite is useless on oily threads.  Brake cleaner works best....leave no residue.  Question: what is "liquid tape" ?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Night Vision

liquid electrical tape.... comes in a can, brush it on... smells like glue
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Windjammer

Hi Jason, although I haven't worked with it yet, here's a link to liquid tape. It's the 3rd item in the list. http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/plastidip.html

Quote from: jasonm. on May 31, 2008, 05:20:36 PM
That gunk is oil baked on the back side. The valve gunk is the result of either the engine being overfilled. OR the guides are worn.   I did as QBS on the clutch bolts. Make sure you ABSOLUTELY Degrease the threads. Loctite is useless on oily threads.  Brake cleaner works best....leave no residue.  Question: what is "liquid tape" ?

inanecathode

Quote from: Night Vision on May 31, 2008, 06:42:12 PM

I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

Airplane!
one of the greatest movies ever!  ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Windjammer

Ya ever been to a Turkish prison, Lucky?  :D :D :D

Quote from: Lucky on May 31, 2008, 09:53:17 PM
Airplane!

67GTO

" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

inanecathode

Quote from: Windjammer on May 31, 2008, 10:00:59 PM
Ya ever been to a Turkish prison, Lucky?  :D :D :D

Quote from: Lucky on May 31, 2008, 09:53:17 PM
Airplane!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_cANNP4ibgM
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Rick G

From past negative experience, I don't trust liquid electrical tape. It is however excellent for sealing cracks in old Honda clutch, front brake and throttle cable sheathes , to keep out dirt and water and so you can lube them.
Rick G

Coil Coyle

Quote from: inanecathode on May 31, 2008, 08:33:58 PM

I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue...

INANE,

Don't worry about it, you quit too late!
$0.02
;)
Coil

jasonm.

OH... electrical....I have that stuff right here. I am an electro-technoid.  I just never heard of that sort of use for it.  Personally YAMABOND 4 will work...but it's ugly grey color may not be attractive to most. I do know that mine were cracked a 100 time worse than those pics. I changed them...no difference in running. Because the cracks did not go all the way through.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Windjammer

Ok, well I said I'd post a pic when I was done. So here are the intake boots after being "undercoated". We'll see it it holds...

In process.

Cleaned up.

Rick G

Rick G

Night Vision

+ they'll never rust! good thinking
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano