News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Oil change was uneventfull. Brake fluid and pads

Started by wolfman, July 03, 2004, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

Well I only went to dealer for an oil filter...picked up new front brake pads as well  ::)  as I was not happy with the front brakes (fading) AND a key blank (he had a whole BAG full of them..$2 uncut) to have a duplicate made at ye olde hardware store..no scootertramp problem for me..Oil change was uneventfull.  Filter still looked new even after 1000 miles (changed it early as it was the first full change after my fill the crankcase with gas episode) very miniscule amounts of shiney stuff in the drain oil this time, and NO scraps of RTV in the drain oil from the crankcase cover reseal when I did the stator and starter clutch (I reused the 150 mile old oil I drained out that time) ..added my personal witches brew of 1.5 quarts of 20w50 Castrol "motorcycle oil" and 1 quart of 10w-30 Mobil 1.  

Replaced the pads. The OEM originals with minimal wear (7400 miles) BUT still showing signs of the oil soaking (despite boiling them) they got when the fork oil seals were leaking.  Then I got to thinking, I wonder if the brake fluid had EVER been changed?!  Needless to say I think it was the 22 year old + OEM.  Took about 3/4 of a 1/2 pint bottle of DOT 3 bled through some clear fish tank type (although 5/16ths diameter from Home Depot for $1.98) until the fluid coming out ran clear.  All sorts of interesting "chunks" could be seen flowing out of the system through the clear bleed line, I actually had to clear the bleeder valve with a small awl as it was clogged up with dirt from no use!.  Long story short, the front brake handle has firmed right up and the front brake has never worked better.  SO, how many of you might still be running on 20 year old + brake fluid?!  Now if I can only figure out a way to clear the outside of that fogged plastic brake fluid level window...

nvdranger

Yep thats what I need to do, pads and all.  Brake fluid is just about the only fluid I haven't replaced yet ::) aahh more fun.  Need to get a back tire soon as well.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

h2olawyer

Did my brake fluid last summer - Had similar chunks & the fluid was rust colored.  Likewise, ran about a pint to get clear, clean fluid.  Wasn't having brake problems that I knew of but didn't ride it until after fluid replacement.  Am a bit worried about hose interior condition so am currently shopping for a braided stainless hose & fittings.  Will likely do the upgrade this month.  My window is not fogged but looks like there a few cracks in it - they don't go through the entire thichness - rather they look like stress cracks on the surface.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

My master cyl windowwas opaque when I got my bike too.  first off, flushing the master with brake cleaner helped A LOT. second, I scrubbed the outside with Toothpaste (heard this somewhere) and that helped some too.  

Over time it seems to have gotten a little better, probably due to exposure to clean brake fluid, but when I ge around to really going thru the brakes, dual ft's, S/S lines, etc, I'm going to try Rons tip on clearing up yellowed windshields on the M/C window: fine sand paper in finer degrees and ending up with Novus plastic polish.  don't wait for me to try it, it'll be a while.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

scootertramp

holy cow the first time I changed my final gear oil it was all nice and clean the SECONDE time it was a gunky mess and I may have damaged my tranny from not keeping it full and clean.
 so be sure to keep it topped off and change it OFTEN. more than the oil change.
I found my key..  ahahaha!
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Lucky

Scoot, an FYI for ya:
The trans sits in engine oil, only the rear end (final drive) sits in the rear end fluid.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black