#2 is in the House.....Motor Siezed

Started by Dibble, June 02, 2008, 09:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dibble

Hi All,

#2 was delivered to my doorstep on Sat. afternoon. It is a silver 82. At fisrt glance it was in better condition than "Night Terror" when it came home. But......

The Good:
1) MAC exhaust
2) Good Tank
3) .........

The Bad:
1) Still no LHS cover!!!!!
2) Broken carb drain tubes
3) Bent handle bar riser
4) "Custom" wiring....

The Extra Bad:
1) Motor is siezed solid  >:( >:( :'(

I am almost certain that this one has earned the name "Parts Bike". I basically bought a Mac exhaust, and whats left of a bike came with it.

QBS

A good tank is worth a lot.  Just ask those who have gone to heroic ends to salvage rusty hulks.  Tiffinator comes to mind.

Lucky

Before you declare the engine seized (not a common occurence on these engines,) be sure the clutch pack isn't frozen solid. this IS a common thing on Vision that has sat many years.  some violent rocking of the bike & working the clutch lever in & out can usually free up a frozen clutch. I had to do it on both my Visions when i first got them. Cafe Vision took me nearly 2 hours to break free...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

8) Congratulations bro', welcome to the multi-Vision club... 8) I think we may get together this Saturday...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Hi Dibble, just out of curiosity , what is you method of determining that the engine is seized?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Dibble

Quote from: Rick G on June 03, 2008, 12:13:18 AM
Hi Dibble, just out of curiosity , what is you method of determining that the engine is seized?

The bike would not "roll" over in gear. I removed the flywheel cover to see if everything was still intact (starter clutch, balancer nut etc.). All seemed good. I put a large bar on the flywheel nut and carefully tried to turn it back and forth (I didn't put all of my weight into it for fear of breaking something). No movement at all. I pulled the plugs and soaked the cylinders with penetrating fluid (afterwards someone told me that ATF is better). I'll let it soak for a while, then try again.

Lucky

Quote from: Dibble on June 03, 2008, 08:33:47 AM
[The bike would not "roll" over in gear.

"in gear"..... will it roll over/ spin in neutral?  if so it's the clutch pack....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

If it is the engine that's siezed (which is less likely than the clutch pack), you might try some Marvel Mystery Oil.  I know several people who freed up stuck rings with that stuff & run their engines for many miles thereafter.  That was in autos, but I bet the principle is the same for the V.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

I have a seized engine if anyone would like to unseize it.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

In your case, it's a hopeless cause . . .  :P

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

come on H20...everyone loves a good challenge

btw...Blackie starts up in less than a sec of cranking now...H20's engine is ALIVE

let me know if u change ur mind about unseizing that motor
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Maybe pouring some IPA down the throats???

On second thought, that might be deemed alcohol abuse.   :D

I'm glad that engine is running well.  I know it was strong last time I saw Rex riding it.  Easily faster than my Silver V - but that was on a naked bike & Rex is a fair amount lighter than I.

H2O

Dibble

Quote from: Lucky on June 03, 2008, 11:13:28 PM
Quote from: Dibble on June 03, 2008, 08:33:47 AM
[The bike would not "roll" over in gear.

"in gear"..... will it roll over/ spin in neutral?  if so it's the clutch pack....

No it would not roll over / spin in neutral. The ATF and penetrating fluid seem to have done some work. I can now turn it over very slowly with a large wrench on the flats of the flywheel. I will let it soak more before I try to turn it with the starter. I think it will likely need some "compression in a can" if it ever does free up enough to run.