News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Surplus power?

Started by inanecathode, June 11, 2008, 10:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Does anyone have the numbers relating to the charging system output and reserve power?
I cant remember how many watts are leftover after the bike is run...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Walt_M.

I haven't actually measured it but it is on the order of 80 to 100, depending largely on the headlight. 65W on high beam is standard, I have a 75 in mine.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

The charging system starts with 280 watts available.  Many of the aftermarket stators claim to have higher output, but I haven't seen any specs on how much more they make.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

So how many watts are used running the bike?
Headlight, taillight, coils, and tci?

Lucky

The formula for finding wattage is very simple:

Watts = Volts x Amps

you need to connect an ammeter on the bike, you probably already know the voltage, many of us have voltmeters on the bike.

note the max readings & that should give you a near peak reading.  you'll probably see it either cranking or WOT....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

That'll give regulated power, ie whatever the bike wants.
You mean connect to the stator output?

Lucky

if you measure amperage at the stator, & use that in the formula, that'll give you it's nominal output.

then measure it at the battery & that will give you your actual usage
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black