I didn't know that cell phones were microwave

Started by Coil Coyle, June 11, 2008, 09:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

Brian Moffet

Go ahead, get three friends with cell phones and give it a try, should be fun :-)

Oh, and post the video too  ;D

Brian (my thinking is that it popped way too fast to be real)

inanecathode

Its clearly a conspiracy by corn producers to artificially inflate corn prices by overstating the popability of corn.
Its OBVIOUS, really, open your eyes!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

Quote from: inanecathode on June 11, 2008, 09:56:37 PM
Its OBVIOUS, really, open your eyes!

Aw, Come on Inane, lend us your knowledge and superior vision!  ;D

Oh, and post the video

inanecathode

Brian Moffet

Personally, I think it's all special effects.  They had a large render farm (probably 3000 CPUs or so) to handle the popping of the corn...

Coil Coyle

Yeah, it pops real fast.

Perhaps they used the secret military "Directed Energy Weapons" to pop it.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Coil

kiawrench

uh,, i dont think that would work with 30 cell phones   

avg microwave, maybe dorm room size - or large enough for standard dinner plate 1000watts   2.23 minutes to begin popping corn

avg cell phone output wattage 0.5 to @1.0 watts   time to get 1 kernel to pop   - better get a really good book,rent a movie about popcorn, then toss dead kernel and eat phone .

may just be my way of looking at it,, but for some reason, i just dont think it would work

unless there is something else being generated by our phone s

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

inanecathode

That, and that cellphones use radio waves not microwaves.

Walt_M.

Um, radio waves are microwaves. I have seen the RF from a military base radio light a 40 watt flourescent tube when the transmitter is on. It will definitely burn flesh. However the power from a cell phone is pretty negligible as pointed out in an earlier post.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Coil Coyle

Walt,

It just occurred to me that you could take the microwave source from an oven and mount it under that spot on the table. The power would be concentrated so the corn would cook real fast.

Maybe that's what they did?
???
Coil

Tanno

Yes, a cell phone emits microwave energy, and technically this radiation could cook stuff -- if it was 1) much, much stronger, and 2) if it was focused.

The problem with the cell phone trying to cook something is that it transmits energy at a fraction of the wattage that a microwave oven's magnetron generates. Additionally, efficiency is extremely small as a cell phone's radio waves escape in all directions away from the kernel of corn, whereas a microwave oven is a metallic cage, acting like a room of mirrors to focus almost all of the energy.

A cell phone cannot cook anything; even a hundred cell phones put together could not cause the dielectric heating effect that you witness in a microwave. The question of cell phones being safe to use is a subject of debate, but as far as the extreme RF heating effects of microwave radiation goes, a cell phone simply cannot do it.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Walt_M. on June 13, 2008, 08:14:53 AM
Um, radio waves are microwaves. I have seen the RF from a military base radio light a 40 watt flourescent tube when the transmitter is on. It will definitely burn flesh. However the power from a cell phone is pretty negligible as pointed out in an earlier post.

LOL, last night I was on the phone with Sprint because they deactivated the wrong phone when one of mine was lost.  At one point, I had my cell phone up to one ear and the other phone up to the other ear...funny thing is, I understand all my physics without even having to open the book and I should get a 4.0 in the class.  I have also memorized everything on Luckys CD from start to finish as well as the entire Haynes Manual verbatim.

All kidding aside, have you seen the pictures by the photographer that dows "Light Art"?  He took hundreds of regular old flourescent light tunes and arranged tem in patterns under high tension power lines...and they light up!!  He does neet things like time lapse where he will take a couple tubes and walk around under the wires and swirl them in patterns and they are lit up just by the radiated energy form the wires.  Now THAT is cool.

As far as cell phones cooking popcorn? Poppycock!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

I'm still waiting for Inane's obvious explanation of how they did it  ;D

Brian

h2olawyer

Sounds like an episode for Mythbusters!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 14, 2008, 02:09:05 PM
Sounds like an episode for Mythbusters!   ;D

H2O

You ought to submit that one to them.  Do you remember the microwave from hell episode?  LOL

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

doesn't really matter much,, but when i was stationed in germany, the hawk missile battery next door to our barracks would run radar test drills, to verify radar works, etc, never did it myself, but others would line top of the stone fence on "safety zone " side of th elot with jiffy pop pans,,, and hot dogs,,, then enjoy the popcorn and roasted dogs  while getting awol drunk on jagermeister and amstel beer.that went on until late 1984 when the unit switched over to patriot missile systems,, and those will radars will not do the same job .( way too high off ground to reach the emmision zone)

wonder if that was really safe, or if any have cancer now from eating that crap .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

More likely the cancer would be from EMF exposure, not the irradiated food.   :D  Still, sounds like a fun party!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Microwaves: ~1cm
Radiowaves: ~1km

Microwaves: High energy short wavelength
Radiowaves: Low energy long wavelength

Cellphones do not transmit high energy short wavelength microwaves. Yes they transmit electromagnetic radiation but its nowhere near the wavelength needed to excite water molecules.

Cancer caused by low energy emf is a myth, the only emf waves that can cause cancer in the fashion that the cellphone cancer nutbags want you to believe in are extremely high energy ionizing gamma and xrays.

They did the video with video editing software, photoshop for movies. Its pretty easy to do popcorn, you just make it disappear and appear popped somewhere else, no movement, just cut and paste.

There, i hope i helped.

This is the part where someone comes on and tells me all about the angry electrons  :)

Tanno

Those electrons aren't angry.....they're PISSED OFF! :D
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown