News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

ROV/Ebay etiquette?

Started by Shop Rat, June 14, 2008, 09:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shop Rat

Does ROV have any rules or understanding amongst members when it comes to XZ-550 parts listed on eBay? E.g., is it OK to ask others to not bid on a certain item that you'd like for yourself? 

I don't have my eye on anything right now, but that could change in minutes.  Before I do bid, should I check the buy & sell forum to see if anyone else has "claimed" it already? 

Frank
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

kiawrench

all of our forum members that use e-bay are listed in a post-- if you see one of the forum members has bid, you have to decide, be a sport, let the other member work his bid, or be a harley rider, and go for it . most of us prefer to let whichever member is bidding, try for the part. thing is , everything on e-bay is also available here in forum,,, if yo uneed a part, just ask, (in swap shop section) am sure someone can help ,, and at better than e-bay prices .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

The main exception to that guideline is for some of the rarer 83 parts.  Still, it would be good form to send a message to the other bidder(s) if you are going to play hardball & are willing to bid high on a part.  I have refrained from bidding at times when I see a fellow ROV'er going for an item I'd like to have.  For things like 83 forks (& dual discs), 83 carbs, 83 rear shocks and full fairing parts, I say go ahead & bid up to whatever you are willing to spend.  Otherwise, the parts are generally available from someone here.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

if you need it.... get it
if you'd like to have it... think about getting it  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

one thing to think about is ebay recently changed to a 'blind' auction so that you don't know who you may be bidding against.  If it is a part you need then post that you need the item and list the auction so others know.  And ya...basically if it is rare 83 parts you may not be the only ROVr bidding.

be sure to add your name to the list
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=8505.0
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

what kevin noted about the 'blind' auction  i find a pain, i don't know if it's an ROVer bidding...

does anyone know if the blanked out i.d. is allways the same? (i.e. K****W)  if so, i would like to add this i.d. designation to Tigers list so you guys know it's me. would others be willing to do this if the I.D stays the same?

or alternatly, if the i.d. changes auction to auction, a post here with that current i.d. would work too.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

And remember, I'm always willing to sell my 1983 Vision, no damage, never been in an accident, for what I think I can get for it on ebay as parts  ;D

Brian (due to the dollar dropping, I think that value is now $53,261.42)

Shop Rat

Good to know. Thanks. I'll post my query for footpeg rubber immediately.

Frank

Quote from: kiawrench on June 14, 2008, 10:30:54 PM
all of our forum members that use e-bay are listed in a post-- if you see one of the forum members has bid, you have to decide, be a sport, let the other member work his bid, or be a harley rider, and go for it . most of us prefer to let whichever member is bidding, try for the part. thing is , everything on e-bay is also available here in forum,,, if yo uneed a part, just ask, (in swap shop section) am sure someone can help ,, and at better than e-bay prices .
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

h2olawyer

My basic guideline is that I have a top price I'm willing to pay for any part.  If I need the part & it is a rare piece, I'll be willing to spend a lot & maybe step on some toes to get it.  If it is just a part I'd like to have, my top bid is low & if someone mentions they want it before I bid, I'll refrain from bidding on the item at all (regardless of the rarity).  Chances are, if it is a common part I already have a spare or two.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

if your talking about foot peg rubbers... don't worry... they often come up on eBay and are available through the dealer...

just be advised to go with OEM.... others can be short in length and short on longevity
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano