News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Caswells Coating, is, in fact, no good.

Started by funkamongus, April 14, 2010, 05:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funkamongus

I used it to coat my tank. I brought said tank in, after airing out, of course, and for paint. Never did get around to paint her but Im putting her back together today anyway, and I put some gas in the tank and I start hearing cracks..  like Snap crackle pop...The sealant is flaking off the side of the tank... the coating is less than a year old.
DO NOT USE CASWELLS Coating.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

hmmm.   Only thing I can think of was that some flash rust may have developed between when the tank was cleaned/prepped and then coated.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

funkamongus

I think it was the temp..warm house, few hours in the cold garage, then different temp gas. crack... pouring gas on it, did all of it in...Its not a really big deal,, tank is in pretty good shape, I'll just have to clean it out and do it with again, but with POR15 instead... and try to get my money back for the caswells I still have...
I own:

Lucky

I'm not sure that's Caswells fault...  if you take a hot glass straight from the dishwasher & fill it with ice cold lemonade & it cracks, it's not the glass manufacturers fault....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

funkamongus

Im not sure its their fault either...I still have another unit of it I dont want to use. I should get my money back on it. simple.
I own:

musicweb

Same thing happened to me Funk....

After sitting in the garage all winter, when I went to re-fuel...the coating was separating from the tank sides.

I wrote to them, and the only thing they would help me with was how to remove it.

QuoteYou can use a paint stripper containing methylene chloride.
Pour it into the tank, swirl it around and allow it to set for about 20 minutes, then flush with water.
You may have to repeat to remove it all.
Caswell Inc

I managed to get it all out after about 4-5 hours. I used a coat hanger with a small hook in the end, a shop-vac with a long skinny nozzle, and of course the remover that comes with POR15. You can kinda "feel" with the hook if there is any coating on the tank walls. And hear it too....

The POR15 remover does not dissolve it all completely.
I had to put a garden hose in the fill neck and pull out chunks as they appeared at the petcock hole.

About a half day to do the POR job right.

1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

funkamongus

I still have another Unit of the caswells, I hope they'll give my money back on that.. I dont want to use it now, for sure.. When I put the stuff in, I mixed it in a plastic bowl, when it got hard, it cracked and came right out from the bowl,, I said right then, "this will NOT be good.  Get a ding and crack on the inside. Its too brittle." I said it right when I saw that. Oh well. I think I'll dry it out and run some large nuts around inside to break it up, then try cleaning and the POR 15. More money... For now, its not breaking up or down, any more so I have a new filter on it and Im gonna run it for a minute. Im going to Laughlin River Run and Down to Parker Arizona for a while to ride, I'll deal with it when I get back...
I own:

musicweb

1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

funkamongus

I just got off the phone with them. Im getting a refund for both units. The one I used and the one I didnt. Im sending the one I didnt, back to them today. I found them to be nice enough. I explained that first gas up after winter and it come from the sides, he didnt say as much, but it sounded like he had heard it before. He didnt offer to give my money back at first. We kinda talked about it a little.. He was a nice guy. Gonna check out that post now, Musicweb. Thanks.
I own:

funkamongus

For the bottom line. I believe it was the temperature, or the drying out, or the combination of the two. I havent looked on the box, but I dont recall it saying anywhere not to let it dry out or any warnings of hot cold reactions, I'll look but if it says nothing, as I suspect, I wont edit this... I think if a person coated their tank and got hit with a rock or dinged it somehow, it would crack and break off, in the same way. I found it to be too brittle for my application. I found the company to be nice and easy to communicate with. My humble opinion. Regardless of this experience, I would do business again with Caswells. In fact, Im already looking at some polishing stuff I'd like.
I own: