News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

starter cluth slipping

Started by ianhall0, April 19, 2010, 12:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianhall0

hi there i road my bike home 80 miles with no problem apart from poor starting and the idle spped too high due to i think cracked inlet rubbers i then toped the oil up with some car oil and the starter cluth started free wheeling i striped off the side engine case and sprayed the starter clutch with brake cleaner that caused the problem after i replaced the side case and filled with fresh bike oil the bike started but when i stoped the bike the clutch started free wheeling again i restriped it cleaned the clutch again this time i really soaked it with brake cleaner it seams to be working ok now but i havent had chance to try it as im waiting for a gasket from the usa im in england do you guys think the car oil could have caused the problem? the clutch as had the modifications done

vadasz1

Never put regular car oil into a motorcycle as it has additives that will REDUCE friction. Use either any brand of motorcycle oil, or AS I have recently read at gtamotorcycle.com, SHELL Rotella T6 oil.  The T6 is actually a synthetic oil for diesel engine use but it has the MA endorsement for motorcycles.

Either way don't use automotive oil again.  EVER!!!
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

QBS

Been using Castro GTX 20w50 for 26 years and 85,000 miles.  My starter clutch doesn't slip.

ianhall0

Quote from: vadasz1 on April 19, 2010, 02:43:27 PM
Never put regular car oil into a motorcycle as it has additives that will REDUCE friction. Use either any brand of motorcycle oil, or AS I have recently read at gtamotorcycle.com, SHELL Rotella T6 oil.  The T6 is actually a synthetic oil for diesel engine use but it has the MA endorsement for motorcycles.

Either way don't use automotive oil again.  EVER!!!
thanks for that info i ve been riding bikes for 31 years and never had a problen like this hopefully i have cured the problem but time will tell when i get the side case back on
hopefully the nos intake rubbers i have got will cure the fast idle problem too if not will be back on here for more advice cheers guys

Lucky

naw, trust me you didn't fix it with brake cleaner    you'll have to at least reattach the clutch bolts, and more likely replace the clutch, it sounds cracked...

fortunatly parts should be relativly easy to find & inexpensive.

your high idle probably is a leaky YICS and/or out of synq carbs.  both easy repairs.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) The rubber carb manifolds can be cleaned with brake & parts cleaner and coated with liquid electrical tape. This generally solves the problem unless they are severely deteriorated. Also, remove the YICS unit and plug the outlets on the cylinder heads...see how that works out. ALL the vacuum lines should be changed out anyway... ;)

The flywheel needs to come off and the starter clutch checked out properly...They do fracture when left to long. The three soc' head cap screws can back out/snap... :o I had three like this through my place last year!!! DO NOT DELAY THIS "FIX"!!! 

Where in the U.K. are you located mate ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

ianhall0

thanks tiger im gonna take a chance with the clutch as it looks like it already had the bolts preened over, im dreading getting the stator off. but if the clutch slips i will bite the bullet and do the job. i ve managed to get a new set of intake rubbers so will fit them as mine are in bad shape. thanks for the tip about the YICS unit. im located in lancaster in the north of england near the lake district thanks for you interest and help

Lucky

you guys gotta stop taking shortcuts.  that's how these bikes end up getting parted out...frustrated owners...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Quote from: vadasz1 on April 19, 2010, 02:43:27 PM
Never put regular car oil into a motorcycle as it has additives that will REDUCE friction. Use either any brand of motorcycle oil, or AS I have recently read at gtamotorcycle.com, SHELL Rotella T6 oil.  The T6 is actually a synthetic oil for diesel engine use but it has the MA endorsement for motorcycles.

Either way don't use automotive oil again.  EVER!!!

Theres nothing wrong with automotive oil as long as you make sure it doesnt have friction modifiers. It says it right on the back in the sae donut. Motorcycle oil is the biggest ripoff since slick50.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

Quote from: ianhall0 on April 20, 2010, 02:06:43 PM
... it looks like it already had the bolts preened over, I'm dreading getting the stator off.

... I'm located in Lancaster in the north of England near the lake district thanks for you interest and help

The worst one last year looked o.k. from the "outside"...however, when I removed the flywheel all three soc' head cap screws had snapped off just below the heads, the starter clutch was therefore loose and fractured in two places...you need to pull that flywheel a.s.a.p. mate!!!

I'm from Blyth, a wee bit North of Newcastle but have lived here in Canada for 15/16 years...  ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tiger on April 20, 2010, 10:37:59 PM
I'm from Blyth, a wee bit North of Newcastle but have lived here in Canada for 15/16 years...  ;)

which means you still have the accent but you say "Eh?" a lot?

Tiger

Quote from: Brian Moffet on April 20, 2010, 11:54:54 PM
Quote from: Tiger on April 20, 2010, 10:37:59 PM

which means you still have the accent but you say "Eh?" a lot?

:) According to the Brits back in the U.K. (family & friends) I speak Canadian and according to Canadians I'm either English or Scots...No pleasing some people, EH!!! LOL...

jasonm.

Yes, if it's never been done. Checking those bolts(torque wrench) is key... I replaced and torqued and loctited mine . And grade 12.9 bolts must be used. Mine slips sometimes when using the best synthetic oils. Especially Amsoil. If you here clunking when running at idle. Tear it apart immediately. That would be the sound of the starter clutch assy. rocking back and forth on the loose bolts. Yamaha also used this clutch on the OLD Venture which I also have one of. The failure rate was far less on the Ventures due to a higher reduction speed of the whole starter drive. AKA- less shock to the system. But it still happened.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules