News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Carburetor testing

Started by h2olawyer, June 18, 2008, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 21, 2008, 02:52:00 AM
Hardest part in the stator job is reconnecting the oil & neutral sensor wires.
H2O

Can't think of any reason you couldn't wire in a double connector for them further up the harness...  or bullit connectors.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Nice thought, but I absolutely hate cutting up a wiring harness & installing more places for it to eventually fail.  I'll stick with the PITA tiny screws on the sensors.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

H2, getting back to the original thread subject, Silver V had '82 carbs and Tractor had '83s,...correct?

h2olawyer

No - both sets are 82 carbs.  I picked up a set of 83 carbs at Boulder Bike Works last fall.  I've been taking my time cleaning 7 rebuilding them.  Broke a float post  >:( & repaired it.   ;D  Now wrestling with a severely stuck jet.   ::)  Need to get the 83 tank de-dented, lined and painted silver before I can install the 83 carbs.  However, now that I have a great running set of 82 carbs, I'll be in no hurry at all - except to have the functioning fuel gauge.

After the first 90 miles of my ride yesterday, I filled the tank.  Took 2.1 gallons, so that's right around the same mileage as I got with the original carbs (43 MPG).  Went another 40 miles after that & will be filling it tonight in preparation for a large group ride over the same route tomorrow.  Will do a precise calculation later tonight and again after I get back tomorrow.

Found a cool 3 outlet power adapter @ Radio Shack today.  Has a molex plug and can be used either with a power port (cigarette lighter) or hard wired.  Will just use the power port adapter for now & worry about hard wiring it later.  Also going to use velcro instead of zip ties to hold the helmet cam wire.  Quick & easy to install & remove, making lunch stops easier.  No more worry about someone walking off with the helmet cam.   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

Excellent!  Since both carbs are '82's it would be very interesting know of any jetting variations between the two sets that might explain the performance differences.

h2olawyer

I went through the Tractor carbs when I refurbished it.  It has the same jetting as the Silver V.  122.5 front main, 127 rear main & 135 pilot air jets.  It didn't have the vacuum airbox flapper door and still had the 130 pilot air jets when I got it.  I installed new 135s and had a vacuum box top plus an upgraded carb top & disc air filter, so I did the carb upgrade myself.  The previous owner said it ran pretty good with the original setup.  I have timeslips from low 13 second 1/4 mile runs @ 5,000 ft. elevation with that setup, so it wasn't running bad!

H2O

QBS

So, what do you accounts for the difference in performance?

h2olawyer

Dirt, grunge, crud or muck in the original carbs is the most likely culprit.

Also, I've never had the screw clamps on the stacks @ the airbox.  They fit tight enough I wouldn't think it could make any difference.  When I installed the 83 airbox, those stacks have the clamps, so there's no possibility of any air getting in that way.  But, I still sincerely doubt it was getting past the original stacks, either.  The clamps were removed by the dealer when they did the carb upgrade before I bought the bike, so I never had them.

I'll tear into the original carbs sometime between now and next spring (sounds like a good winter project).  I'll report what I find - if anything.  If they are still clean, I guess I'll chalk it up to air getting past the stacks.

Wrote up another report about today's ride in the Goin' Ridin' section.  Got the best fuel mileage since I bought the bike - 46.67MPG.  For details, check out the ride post.  http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=8957.0

H2O

QBS

Just read your Ride Report.  Sounds like you got a whole new bike.  It's great to win.  Let's hope your stator consumption improves as well.

h2olawyer

It really is almost a new bike.  The only thing somewhat familiar is the riding position & I changed that a few weeks ago by installing the 83 rider pegs, brake pedal & shift linkage.  Cheapest "new" bike in history!!!   ;D  I'm easily & comfortably 8 - 10 MPH faster in the corners than before the carb swap.  Part of that is due to the shift in concentration & part is thanks to Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist".

I am making a concerted effort to really improve my riding skills by reading more, watching more and most of all, by riding more.  I put 300 miles on the V since Friday.  Now I need to order tires.  Got 5100+ miles out of them.  Need to decide between the RoadRiders or the Sport Demons now.  Whichever I don't get now will be what I order to put on Tractor when it's restored later this summer.

H2O