News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Catastrophic rear brake failure

Started by dieseler, June 26, 2008, 04:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieseler

Well, not sure how this happened.  But thought I would share it with everyone!

I had just finished a fairly hard ride and was heading home when all the sudden there was one of those noises that makes you pucker, followed by my brake pedal slamming up into my foot.  First thing that flashed through my mind was one of the 'golden' bolts had sheered and my linkage was going to dig into the ground and pole-vault me.  Luckily that didn't happen!  I pulled over and looked over the bike real quick, decided it was good enough to get me the couple of blocks to my house and then I parked and went on vacation.

Well, went out to the garage today to fix her up again and man!  Not sure what happened but the bolt that joints the pull rod to the drum actuator sheared ( I assume) as did the rear bolt for the locator arm.  The failure of these two parts caused pull rod to wrap itself around the rear axle!

I'm glad I wasn't on the brakes when this happened!  Now time to scrounge for replacement parts and start considering a rear-disk conversion!

Dieseler

h2olawyer

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=4688.0

You must not have been paying attention.  The above topic is posted as a sticky with bold caps as a warning.

Glad you weren't hurt!  This same issue has sent bikes off the road as the tension bar acts like a pole in a pole vault.  Very dangerous situation.

Just another reminder -- if you haven't replaced the brake tension bar bolts, DO IT NOW.  The originals are 25+ years old.  They have fatigued, corroded, and otherwise weakened over time.  I've put mine on a schedule to change them whenever I put on a new rear tire.  They're inexpensive (especially when compared to the possible result of failure) & fairly easy to do with the rear wheel removed.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Just go out and buy a box of 50 and keep them around.  It'll be cheaper...

Brian (who should take my own advice...)

dieseler

Sadly enough,  I had read that post and just hadn't got the bolts yet! ::)   Now I have no excuse (or ability) to not replace them

Dieseler

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 26, 2008, 04:35:21 PM
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=4688.0

You must not have been paying attention.  The above topic is posted as a sticky with bold caps as a warning.

H2O

h2olawyer

What condition are the tension bar & actuator rod in?  If it's like most when this happens, the actuator rod got wrapped around the rear hub & the tension bar got bent.  Unfortunately, I don't have any spares of those parts.  They went to inanecathode when this happened to him last year.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

I got two sets of the bolts from my local Yamaha dealer for 6.25 a set.  One set for me and one for Lucky.  I had to order them but they arrived in just 2 days.  The guy at the desks comment: "A Yamaha Vision?  Whats that?"  LOL

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

been there done that,, let me tell you , right now you should go kiss your bike,,, happened to me and all i had left was internal parts ,and a lot of bills .

folks ,, if you want to ride and grow old ,, check those bolts,, i added replacing them to spring wake up service,,, that way, i have it in writing  and dont forget .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Night Vision

maybe a two year old warning just doesn't cut anymore..... maybe the sticky should read

WARNING MUST READ AND SERIOUSLY CONSIDER SPENDING $6 TO SAVE YOUR ASS

I have another  idea..... go to that sticky and add your story...
poor 'ole Dempsey has had that spot for nearly two years...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

i have removed the lock so deisler can add his story...  it'll go back on after that.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I see Dieseler updated the thread... good job  :)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

macroars

Anyone knowing where the diagram is?

The only thing I know, is that it not to be found at http://www.crazyasafox.com/braketensionbolts.jpg

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Ron_McCoy

I quit using those cheesy, soft, little Yamaha brake anchor bolts years ago and use grade 8 3/8" cap screws and nylock nuts,  Do this and you won't have to worry about this anymore. Oh yeah, new nut every time it comes off.

Tiger

Quote from: Ron_McCoy on June 28, 2008, 03:52:34 PM
I quit using those cheesy, soft, little Yamaha brake anchor bolts years ago and use grade 8 3/8" cap screws and nylock nuts,  Do this and you won't have to worry about this anymore. Oh yeah, new nut every time it comes off.

8) Just what I've been preaching for age's...Spot on Ron 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

ps2/bikevision

i too found out what the brake pedal feels like when it slams up into your foot. scary. just wasn't on the vision though. was on my dirt bike a few weeks ago. i replaced all the bolts to the rear brake rod, just didn't look close enough to the brake bar, it was made of aluminium and had a crack in it. all it did was rap the brake linkage around the axle. was a real eye opener. made me glad i fixed the bolts on the vision. if it wasn't for the sticky it may of been real bad cause the front bolt on the dirtbike was loose.

inanecathode

I had mine break on me too, but because of my own stupidity. I threaded the tensioner nut on a few threads then went to look for a wrench. I forgot what i was doing and ended up forgetting the nut too, got about 4 miles until the bolt sheared and wrapped the linkage around the axle at 50mph. Wasnt too freaked out, it'll do what it'll do as long as you're calm everything should be ok.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

I've replaced the brake stay hardware several times. Now, I use grade 12.5 metric bolts and I slide a surplus 8 mm case dowel over the bolt , so it fits snugly where the step in the stock one  is . I drilled the bolt and use a castellated nut and cotter pin.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Solo

Hi all!

Should present myself properly, but first thing goes first. I didn't want to start a new topic about rear brake bolts, so I just add pics from my xz's ones status:

Replacement ones:

Final look:

motoracer8

The sholders on the OE bolts are there for a reason, quality hardware is a good idea but you should find cap screws with a shank long enough to go through the stop bar and backing plate, sharp threads will damage aluminum.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Rick G

I put an 8 mm dowel pin over the bolt . it replaces the shoulder on the cheesy factory bolt . The threads on the bolt could damage the hole in the back plate and the hole is quite a bit larger than the bolt , so they take up the slack.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

That's a neat trick Rick!  I use these Kawasaki brake stay bolts. The head nests in the brake backing plate, the shoulder fits the torque arm, they have provision for the safety clip pictured and have reusable metal tab lock nuts. In addition, they retain the 10 mm diameter through the threaded portion rather than being stepped down to 8mm like the stockers.   ;)  :)

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan