News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Catastrophic rear brake failure

Started by dieseler, June 26, 2008, 04:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo

Ok, got the point.

I think the match here is partially threaded bolts.

As I still can't ride my mbike, as carb stumbles out of range (I think nozzles have worn out) I will spend a couple of noons searching for a decent pair of them in the junkyard.

The Prophet of Doom

That's the spirit
Replace bolts that will snap and kill you with equally dodgy ones from the junkyard for $6 when you can get brand new ones from Yamaha for $7
A dollar saved is a dollar earned - right?

Re-Vision

Think he was speaking of nozzles from the junk yard and not the brake stay bolts. If I'm wrong, continue to chew his butt.     BDC

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

iain

Rohan [ roro]
You having a bad day or trying to make some new friends

Iain
NZ

Re-Vision

Looks as though his heart is sincere, caring about someone's safety is a good thing. Why haven't you guys found nice avatars to entertain us or did ya'll go gay on us. Hee Hee     BDC

iain

You know us kiwi's just love to stir things along , funny you should talk about Gay as rohan had a brilliant avatar, on that very subject which would surely get him banned from this site for life..

Iain
NZ

Re-Vision

With political correctness being what it is nowadays, I doubt that anyone would have the balls to say anything. Thought I would get kicked off with my observations but they only removed my comments.     BDC

stuckinlodi

Back to the topic,,,,What year model of Kawasaki bolts are you using? I only ask because my I have connections at the local kawi dealer.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Re-Vision on May 14, 2012, 10:02:55 PM
Looks as though his heart is sincere, caring about someone's safety is a good thing. Why haven't you guys found nice avatars to entertain us or did ya'll go gay on us. Hee Hee     BDC
I gave up on the Avatars as mine was cruelly ripped from my profile to pander to the "moral" minority.  Really - what is so wrong with a pair of buttocks.  It's not like i showed a giant erect penis or anything

iain

Statistically speaking in the United States 9.8 percent of men are homosexual which means, that if rohan put up a avatar of a
,,,and I quote  [giant erect penis ] 1 in ten of you  will be sexually satisfied and in theory shouldn't complain
PS     My ramblings are not political or religious this time

Iain
NZ

Solo

Quote from: roro on May 14, 2012, 08:05:44 PM
That's the spirit
Replace bolts that will snap and kill you with equally dodgy ones from the junkyard for $6 when you can get brand new ones from Yamaha for $7
A dollar saved is a dollar earned - right?

No, I mean that partially threaded bolts, from the same kind than the hardware I used to replace my OE ones, (and motoracer8 suggested me to re-change in order not to damage aluminun brake drum), can be easily found from cars/machinery in the junkyard. Just because It's easier for me looking for them when going there than ordering new ones at the hardware store. (Do you consider what should be asking for 8mm dia 2cm partially threaded bolts?  - It's easier for me to manufacture then on the lathe!) (BTW, 6$ per 2junkyard bolts? where do u live?)

I will be chewing my butt again if I buy new OE yamaha ones (when available - have you ever tried to look for xz's OE replacement parts?) Original bolts were shit from design, why using them again - even new?

Excuse my english, When talking about nozzles I meant that my xz550 is being reaconditioned, and of course it stumbles, and it still needs time in the dry dam.

Ah, refreshing motorbikers frankness, hi again...

Rikugun

QuoteI will be chewing my butt again if I buy new OE yamaha ones (when available - have you ever tried to look for xz's OE replacement parts?) Original bolts were shit from design, why using them again - even new?

Has anyone recovered the broken bolt bits after one of these incidents? I'd be curious to see where the failure occurred and guess it may be where the 8mm threads meet the 10mm bolt shank. There is no shear force on the threaded portion but their is tension. I wonder if the failure is precipitated by weakening as a result of over torquing. Is it typically the one at the wheel or under the swingarm that fails?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rikugun

Quote from: stuckinlodi on May 15, 2012, 12:54:51 AM
Back to the topic,,,,What year model of Kawasaki bolts are you using? I only ask because my I have connections at the local kawi dealer.

Not having much luck finding the info - it was 2 years ago I did this. Thought it was was 92005-034 but searches claim it's obsolete. Another application is 92003-096 which supercedes to 92151-1876. Can't make any guarantees on fit but the diameter and length seem right. The nuts I allready had but the part number is 315B1000. Safety clips I'm sure you can source locally. Hope this helps. Let me know how you make out.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

Yeah, I have been wondering about the stepped/shouldered bolt failures too.  My first thought was that the brake stay was on the threads instead of the thicker shoulder of the bolt.  That could cause trouble, but when the shoulder supports both the bracket on the swing arm and the stay there should be very little load against the threads and nut.  If properly positioned the force should be a shear load with the stay and swing arm bracket next to each other.  Another possibility is one or both holes for the bolt have become enlarged.  This is the only model of motorcycle I have heard of having this problem, are there others?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Lucky

I'm sure you guys are right about the particualrs, but a good graded bolt, checked often & replaced annualy should do the trick just fine. these failures started happening shortly before my "Must Read" post, & they happened in rapid succestion.

Those bolts were approching 20 years old.

Rikugun

A properly fitted and torqued fastener should not have to be replaced annually but I suppose it will afford peace of mind if you're concerned about it.  :)

Re-Vision

Probably ought to replace it every time someone else works on your bike.    BDC

Lucky

Annually meaning at intervals of your choosing, probably every 5 years would be ok, not basically every year.

Someone else working on my bikes? Never Happen!!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: iain on May 15, 2012, 03:36:46 PM
Statistically speaking in the United States 9.8 percent of men are homosexual
I didn't realise so many visionaries would be gay.  That will be why my avatar which seems so normal here in New Zealand was deleted.   I've changed my avatar to something more suitable for the crowd we are running with.