YJ Finally Gets Some Hardbags!

Started by YellowJacket!, June 28, 2008, 05:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Thanks to Kiawrench, YJ is well on her way to having a full set of hardbags and a trunk as well as a new oil cooler.  (Many many thanks Kia!!!)
The bags are a definite go but I'm not sure about the trunk yet.  As YJ gets more and more to be my daily driver, I may add the trunk.  My main reason for not uing the trunk at the moment is the fantastic backrest that Kevin made for me.

First order of business is to fab/figure out some way of mounting the bags.

They are in outstanding condition and are painted "Bedliner Black" but I'm going to strip them down and go with a more satin or gloss black to follow YJ's current color scheme.

The correct configuration is to have the angle part facing backwards but Kia used them flipped around which I like much better too.  It gives the passenger (if I ever have a passenger) a better seating position for their legs.

At present, it looks like I'll have to remove the turn signal stalks and grab bars to make it work which will be OK.  I can actually use it as an opportunity to incorporate turn signals and riding lights/marker lights into the bags.

Here's a look at the unmounted bags:

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Those should work great.  Hard bags on a daily driver / commuter is almost a necessity.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

motorcyclezen

Sweet. There are a lot of folks I work with talking about getting bikes these days. You're lucky to be able to commute. DC is just too dangerous--even in a car.

I think you should figure out a way to get some yellow in there though.

$0.02

Who does that on his posts?

inanecathode

You could probably just move the signals back a bit, thats what i did when my bags interfered with my turn signals.
There might be an indent where they are supposed to go on those bags already. Did the side bags come with a bracket?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

macroars

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

The Prophet of Doom

Love those hard bags.  What brand are they?  Looks like a Givi topbox which I've never liked much - they seem too round, though nice to be able to store a couple of helmets.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on June 29, 2008, 04:40:06 AM
You could probably just move the signals back a bit, thats what i did when my bags interfered with my turn signals.
There might be an indent where they are supposed to go on those bags already. Did the side bags come with a bracket?

The bracket that came with the trunk has mounting points for the turn signals.  it puts them way back and looks goofy as all getout..  Theres no indentations in the bags for turn signals.

Quote from: macroars on June 29, 2008, 07:08:21 AM
If I can tempt you to you give up your backrest/luggage rack - pm me:

Im tempted but I made a seriously big trade with Kevin to get the backrest...an almost perfect stock exhaust system.  If you are interested in a backrest, PM Kevin.  He fabs them from time to time and posts them on the boards.  They are excellent quality and outstanding workmanship.

Quote from: roro on June 29, 2008, 07:35:40 AM
Love those hard bags.  What brand are they?  Looks like a Givi topbox which I've never liked much - they seem too round, though nice to be able to store a couple of helmets.

NOt sure what brand the bags are...I think Yamaha OEM.  The top box is Shoei.  Funny thing is my bike came with the exact same box and I couldn't GIVE it away at the time.  Ended up selling the rack though which was very similar to the one macroars posted.  I've come full circle.....

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

i guess i can help a bit here ,,,,
the bags are oem yamaha hard bags for the seca ll turbo   never had factory mounts,,  the trunk is a 1975 shoei , full slider top ,  rack i provided is off a 1981 honda 750,,   as for mounting lights,, there is a pair of bars  included to mount the lights ,, but i agree , better to find decent lights that will mount to bags    plenty of points to chose from on wire passage,   but in truth ,,, on a seca,, mount them flat end forward, on  a vision, mount pointy end forward   
   as for me,,, with my new pocket pc, i dont need trunk,bags, or even rack,,,,, everything fits on me ,or in a pocket,,, and i still carry more stuff than co-workers with a car , lol     but i hate rain days .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .