Main Menu

Brakes

Started by thisandthat, July 04, 2008, 05:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisandthat

Hi, so I bled my brakes the other day, because they were soft, and it seemed to help a bit, but now it seems, they've slowly got softer, which makes me think its a leak, but the fact that I couldn't get them "hard" even when I first bled them makes me think its possibly something else. Other then air in the line, is there any other reason the brakes would feel soft and spongy? Thanks, I've always at trouble doing brakes with cars, and now it seems like I'm not better with a bike...o well, who needs brakes anyways.

kwells

25 yr old rubber line flex.  Look into Stainless Steel Braided lines. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Also, get a speedbleeder to help.  Motorcycle brakes in general & Visions, in particular, are difficult to bleed properly.

www.speedbleeder.com

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Mighty vac dude, mighty vac.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

I just use a large syringe I got from a veterinary supply store.  Mity-Vac -- $35+.  Syringe -- $5.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

thisandthat

Well I bled them again, with a hose going from the valve to a jar of break fluid, and I'm pretty sure theres not air, but its still soft. So braided brake line it is. Some people had mentioned that there are some lines from GM you can get? What are the sizes to look for when buying the brake lines, if I was to get them from somewhere like Spiegler or a place that doesn't have "vision" brake lines. I guess the inside diameter of the banjo's can't change, (if anyone knows this size please let me know) what about the depth, if I can get new bolts this shouldn't be an issue? I was thinking that maybe I could get them cheaper from an auto parts store like napa vs ordering them from some specialty store off the net. What about brake lines from a newer bike? Has anyone successfully swapped over brakes from a bike other then a 83 vision, even single disk, perhaps from a new bike, I know there was some talk about R1 brakes perhaps fitting.

kwells

Do we have a reliable up to date source for Galfer SS lines?  82 and 83?

I remember a member that recently got a few sets but I couldn't find the thread when I searched.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

See Tiger's post above for Galfer lines.

H2O

kwells

Thx H...I totally missed that

www.wellsmoto.com

Walt_M.

I just ordered a set this morning. My brake was getting dangerous. I rode it yesterday for about 20 min. The lever pulls to the grip and it merely slows down. It is way past time I did this one!
Whale oil beef hooked!

GT @ oh.

Where are you guys getting your brake pads from....think I'm gonna go sintered...... even tho your not supposed too.....the brakes were never really that great even when new soo....I see pyramid has fronts but no backs tho and dont think they are sintered.

Rick G

The brakes from the Vision racer had sintered pads when I got them. They stop well , maybe too well as the discs are badly warped . Then again your probably not going to flog it nearly as hard as the short fat guy that raced it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

I went with non-sintered sbs pads (Scandanavian Brake Systems) when I upgraded to the duals.  I'm very happy with the results.  My rear shoes were still in nearly new condition - they've never been replaced.  You don't want real grippy rears anyway.  Too easy to lock the rear as it is.

H2O

Rick G

I put new rear shoes in every 10,000 miles or so. haven't replace front pads yet.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Is there any way to de contaminate a greasy brake rotor or am i in the same 'need an 83 rotor' boat as everyone else :/
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Lucky

brake cleaner spray will clean up a rotor lickety-split, that's what it's made for. Electronics cleaner will work in a pinch. neither leaves any oily residue.

greasy brake pades are a little tougher, you have to spray them well, & a quick going over with sandpaper should do it.  when you grease wheel bearings on a car or truck, it's not unusual to get some grease on the brakes, that's how you clean them...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Personally, I like lubricated brake rotors & pads.  They last a lot longer.   ;)

H2O

thisandthat

Yesterday I took off my front tire and unbolted my break caliber because I was going to replace my fork seals(this didn't turn out but thats a different story), when i put everything back, my brake were really soft, I bled them, and now they are useless. Any idea, I don't see how anything would effect that, or how I could put it back together wrong, doesn't make sence.

Lucky

you have gunk in the calipers. just spreading them apart only enough to allow them to slide off the rotor gummed everything up.

when you apply the brakes, the square cut seal around the caliper poston 'rolls'. (it's being turned out of it's natural shape) when you let off the brakes it 'rolls' back. 

take the caliper all apart, remove the piston, clean everything with brake-kleen, lubricate with fresh brake fluid, reassemble & bleed.  a fresh set of seals would be good...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black