News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New rider needs advice

Started by bdutro, July 08, 2008, 06:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdutro

So i just got me a 1982 yamaha vision and was going along just fine. First bike I'd ever owned, and was learnign to ride and maintain at once. Bike died at an intersection from unknown causes, wouldn't restart. I let it sit for a while and instead of starting up, it backfired ::very loud:: From that point on anytime i tried to start it, it wouldn't, and any successive attempts after that would only result in backfires.

I want to clean the carbs and install an inline fuel filter, however, I can't seem to find a copy of the haynes repair manual for this bike ANYWHERE locally...

Is anyone in San Diego who might know where to help me find one, OR wanna show me how to do this? Thanks a ton!

-Blane

ps2/bikevision

Blane welcome to the world of visions. you can order a cd from lucky which has the manual and other important stuff on it http://www.xz550.com/ that should get you back up and running in no time.

bdutro

Right on! Thanks a ton! I know its not technical, however, since i have alreayd begun a post, I might as well just ask here if there is anyone in San Diego, or maybe a group of people why ride yamaha's. My old man taught me on a yamaha, so theyre my preference...

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the ROV, your new and extended family... 8)

:) First, get in touch with "Lucky"...He has a CD/DVD, (which he produces), it contains: Workshop and part's manuals, owners hand book, helpful hints and tip's, original advertising brochure's, etc, etc...It will save you and your Vision a lot of heart ache... ;)

The symptoms you describe could be the carbs need a good clean, however, its more likely an under charging battery...A dead/dying battery, Stator and/or R/R issues :-\ Make sure your battery is FULLY charged and give her another try...You can also boost her from a charged car battery, (the car should not be running)... Let us know what happens and we will help you out stage by stage. Your in good hands here, my friend 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

bdutro

Ill try the battery thing, i got my car parked out back... This may sound retarded... But umm, battery is under the seat right?

ps2/bikevision

theres no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers. the batter is behind the left side panel. just pull it off to get access.

Rick G

The battery is under the left ( as you sit on the bike) side cover. Pay attention the the polarity.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

bdutro

Sooooo, gonna go try that now... bbiab

bdutro

Mmk, i hooked her up to my car battery and gave her a go, no dice... turned over but no joy, but no backfire either... im kind of afraid to give it a lil gas when starting now because it only tends to backfire then...should i hook it up to the car battery and let it sit for a while?

Again, the car had issues starting only after it mysteriously died while running... how can i check and make sure my stator is ok?

Brian Moffet

bdutro

Ok so, I should say, alot of the little paint indicators have been rubbed off, tis an old bike. Just to make sure, when starting, the choke should be full forawrd, or full back? Want to make sure im not flooding...

Addition: Backfire just sent my cat scrambling across the lawn... kinda funny to watch :P

bdutro

Update: Bike will no longer turn over on it's own. Now makes a nasty sounding electrical hum/click. The further i go on with this little experiment the more it is making me think its an electrical issue...

Edited for grammar

GT @ oh.

Rick G

Sounds like it may be a starter issue. Connect the neg. jumper cable to a frame bolt , momentarily touch the terminal on the starter with the pos. cable. If nothing happens , then the starter needs a rebuild. Not a big deal , the info is on Lucky's CD.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

bdutro

Quote from: Rick G on July 08, 2008, 08:45:15 PM
Sounds like it may be a starter issue. Connect the neg. jumper cable to a frame bolt , momentarily touch the terminal on the starter with the pos. cable. If nothing happens , then the starter needs a rebuild. Not a big deal , the info is on Lucky's CD.

Whats gonna happen if something Does happen?

bdutro

I think... I am going to wait until I get Lucky's DVD before I do anything else. I havent the slightest idea what any of this stuff looks like, or how it works, so imma wait until i have some schematics, pictures, and step by step instructions before I go any further. I don't want to irrevesibly break something

Extent

if something does happen the starter will spin and crank the bike over.  That test basically just bypasses the starter button and wiring and powers it up manually.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Rick G

As Extent says , it will just cause the starter to function or not. If it does  then the problem is in the starter activation system.IE, starter button, solenoid  or wiring.  If not, then the starter is more than likely the problem.  I'm betting on the starter being the culprit.
Rick G

inanecathode

I dont mean to poke a bees nest, but; i know the lucky cd is awesome, and full of every piece of information possible to find and some thats impossible, but its not a paper book, and you cant hold it in your hands and read specifications for systems, parts, you cant highlight things, and most people dont have a laptop they can have on hand while working on something. Not saying you shouldnt get the lucky cd, im just saying that having hard copy in your hand to look at is useful in a different sort of way.
They sell haynes manuals all over the place for xz550s, you kinda almost trip over them, not sure what you were searching for but heres one: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Vision-V-Twins-Owners-Workbook/dp/1850107610
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

I talked to Blane on the phone yesterday, it really sounds like his charging system has gone south. the bike teased him with 90 miles of good running before that. went over the basics & i sent him the Electrosport charts..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black