News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

On Injured Reserve List....autopsy results

Started by Night Vision, August 21, 2008, 07:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on September 01, 2008, 11:56:00 PM
SV, I had thought of using the filler opening , with a modified filler hose , to introduce an amount of fresh air to the stator cavity . Of coarse It would require a similar opening in the back to exhaust the hot air. This would require an oil separator .  None of this is really that hard to achieve , but if vibration is a factor , it might not be of any help.

yeah, I sort of tried that a year ago.... oil filler hole and the timing mark hole, when opened at the same time, makes the engine sound like a steam engine instead of a V-Twin  :P
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Night Vision

Quote from: vadasz1 on September 01, 2008, 11:07:05 PM
Lou: try ordering from KBC TOOLS (pg. 122 in their catalogue).  It usually is stock item and can be picked up sameday.  They are on 6200 Kennedy Road below Coutney Park Drive in Mississauga.  About 10 minutes from you and me.
http://www.kbctools.com/can/main.cfm

just so you know, the Perma Coil "kit" I got is slightly different than the professional Helicoil kit.

with the 6mm Perma Coil "kit" you get the tap, an insertion tool, and a couple (maybe six) one length coils in a bubble wrap package... for $29.99 + 8% sales tax

no case, no drill bit (1/4"), on multiple length coils, no tang removal tool etc. The tang just gets punched into the hole. I can see where the tang removal tool could be useful for those "through" bolts

oh, and the $68.67 is the going price for the Helicoil Kit here too. I think the patent ran out and other companies are making similar products.

I looked at the timecerts also... those are a little more complicated to install, pricier, and are probably more suited to higher stress applications.
;D

Rick G

NV, I made a tang breaker from a 5 mm bolt with a slot cut in the bottom. A small amount of chewing gum on the other end will remove the tang.

The steam engine effect is the pumping caused by the pistons rise and fall( as you probably know)  It would take a VERY large breather to over come that problem , I'm afraid.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

Rick you're a man after my own heart!  ;D One of the benefits of needing to make it work and never having the "professional kit." I especially appreciate creative uses of chewing gum  ;).

Take care buddy,

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on September 03, 2008, 01:05:26 AM
NV, I made a tang breaker from a 5 mm bolt with a slot cut in the bottom. A small amount of chewing gum on the other end will remove the tang.

The steam engine effect is the pumping caused by the pistons rise and fall( as you probably know)  It would take a VERY large breather to over come that problem , I'm afraid.

WHAT????!!! no duct tape? what flavor gum? seriously, the I think the 5mm punch and stickum would work... I'll let Lou tell me how it works  ;) :D
;D

supervision

NV,  I was considering  a water jacket too. Is there any room just inside the case, on the end?  1/4 inch of jacket would have to pull tons of heat, what ya think?  I never think of vibration, these things are smooth!  Butt, the heat is way too high, IMO
" border="0

Night Vision

boy, I wish you asked that question yesterday before I got it back together and I could have gotten some actual measurements  :(

there is very little room between the rotor/flywheel and the side case. This I know because the VT500 stator's wiring harness was sticking up a bit too high and was interfering with the rotor (I suspected this and did a dry fit first). I had to take the stator back out and "bend" the harness down a bit to clear the rotor. This made the wiring harness pretty much flush with the side case, and the wire gang is only about a 1/4" thick...

also, a while back Don V didn't quite get the rotor seated all the way down and skinned the side case when he did the starter clutch bolts.. (sorry to squeal on 'ya Don)
;D

Rick G

CDL , we use what we have!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
NV I really prefer  double bubble , I like the taste  ( takes me back to my child hood) plus its much stickier than Wrigley's. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

we'll start calling you Bazooka Rick ... k?

anyway... got things back together tonight and fired 'ole SmokeBomb up......

???

???

:o
well huh! now that's interesting... the VT500 stator charges just a hair under 14v ( 13.7-13.8 ) at low idle (1000- 1100 rpm)
ok, that's acceptable....

drops down to around 13.5v at 5K...... ok, not  a deal breaker....

BUT GET THIS - I get 14.5v around 1500-2000 rpm before it starts to drop off 

so I think it's either:

don't worry... that'll change once the anti-rejection meds wear off

or....

better keep an eye on the R&R  ;)

;D

Cdnlouie

That sounds right NV.  However, my OEM stator and many moons old OEM RR will not go up to 14volts at idle, at least not until I get the rpms up say above 2500.  It goes up to 14.5-15.0 volts for a brief period of time when first starting out on the bike and then within 5 mins drops down to about the 13.8 range and generally maintains in that area. When I slow down and idle I usually drop to around 12 volts.

Assuming a fully charged battery this is my usual pattern.  Of course that can change if your battey needs an extra charge, which I think the RR picks up and rises to the need.

It sounds like the Yami like the Ascot  ;).

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on September 04, 2008, 09:30:22 PM
...better keep an eye on the R&R  ;)

:) I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on mine for similar reasons... ::)

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on September 05, 2008, 06:35:27 AM
...better keep an eye on the R&R  ;)

:) I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on mine for similar reasons... ::)

8)........TIGER....... 8)

Same here.  My Aerostitch voltmeter beeps whenever my voltage gets to 15.5 or higher.  Been beeping a bit ans saw 16.2v the other day.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

:) Mine goes the other way...It drops to about 13.2/13.3 after a short while on the road.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

we'll start calling you Bazooka Rick ... k?

Either Bazooka  or Double Bubble butt  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Quote]
Some how , what I was going to say disappeared ! and now, I don't even remember what it was.
Rick G

h2olawyer

As Rick experiences a "senior moment".   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on September 09, 2008, 12:00:10 AM
As Rick experiences a "senior moment".   ;)

Well, I thought I would never say this...

Wait, what did I come in here for?

Was it the cheesecake?

Huh.

Who ate the frosting?

Brian

Kenny

NV,
   Maybe we should send you down a complete Red n White 83 that turned over 100,000kms in Caron Saskachewan & has not had the Stator replaced... ;)
                     Cheers Ken S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Night Vision

sure! oh wait... is that the one with no brakes  ;D

no wonder you rack up so many miles.... you just can't stop youself  :D :D
;D

supervision

Night Vision, my Son's VFR 750F would not hit 14.5, and I fixed it by running extra wire to make up for the resistance in the stock loom! Just an extra  pos, and neg from the R/R, before the plug, straight to the battery, and it went right to 14.5
" border="0

Night Vision

hmmm... I have the extra pos, but not the neg

... I do hit 14.5 occassionally, but not consistently

I may try that extra neg
;D