Main Menu

Fairing Removal

Started by The Prophet of Doom, July 12, 2008, 11:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

I am stumped.  I'm trying to swap the full fairing from #4 to #2.
There is a curvy bracket that wraps around the steering head - "Fairing reinforcement" part number 11U-28369-00
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get this out without removing the forks, the fairing manual doesn't metion anything difficult about this, and certainly doesn't suggest fork removal.  It doesn't look bent or damaged in any way other than being a little rusty.
Has anyone done this?  Is there a special trick or am I just holding my tongue the wrong way

Lucky

put the bike on the center stand, raise & support the engine so the ft tires off the ground, loosen one of the fork tubes in the tripples, slide the tube down, compress it a bit if you need to, this will give you enough room to get the brace out.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Your not holding your mouth right! No really, I lift the crown off just enough to slide it on or off as the case may be.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) To install or remove the "W" bracket:

Put the "V" on the center stand...

Loosen the four (each side) soc' head cap screws that hold the handlebar risers to the top triple tree.

Remove the big black bolt from the top triple tree...yep that one just down from the "idiot lights".

Now lift up the top triple tree just enough to remove or install the "W" bracket...VOILA!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

The Prophet of Doom

vadasz1

dadadaraahhh............................TIGER to the rescue again.  ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.