News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

ENGINE RIP.

Started by abogado68, July 22, 2008, 04:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abogado68

O.k. I'm sad. Yesterday I took the V out for a ride, finally the sun came out and it was beautiful weather for a ride on the V. On the way back, when all was going well, and was grateful for finding and riding a beautiful red V, I started to hear a weird clunking in the engine. I immediately pulled over and turned off the V. Called the wife and loaded the bike on the pickup. Drained the oil this morning and it was full of metal and bits of copper. BLOWN ENGINE.
I don't understand it, the bike has only 2900 orig. miles.

Now I need the following: a crankshaft, rods, in other words a full engine rebuild kit.

Any suggestions on where to obtain the parts?

Thanks,

Raul.

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

abogado68

Yes, at least that was the color. I'm real bummed. I want to get the V running again.

YellowJacket!

Starter clutch?
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone blowing a Vision engine....
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Raul, This has been a bad month for Visions.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

I wouldnt write off the motor till you figure out where the metal came from..
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Superfly

When my connection rod berring rolled I had copper flakes in my oil.  Luckily, they are still available from the dealership.  The few engines I rebuilt I had to use the green coded connection rod berrings.  Not an impossible job, but it can be time consuming.  You can probably find a used engine in a junkyard cheaper than trying to replace the parts.  Every junkyard I go into, I always see visions.... It's like they gather there to hang out and be forgotten.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

abogado68

Thank You, Superfly, Yellow Jacket and Iinanecathode, no junkyards that have Visions in Mexico. Actually, no Visions in Mexico, well only one mine (probably). I will have the prognosis by Thursday.

Thanks for all the advice.

Raúl.

Rick G

YJ , you haven't been paying attention , I've blown two of  them , spun rod bearings both times.

Raul, if you can find a magnetic drain plug its a help  with the ferris material from the gear box.
The one in the rear gear box fits , you just need to find one from an old Yamaha shaft drive.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

Another known Vision issue, don't run it hard until it is warmed up. This can easily be 15-20 minutes of casual riding, at least on mine.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

On mine ,  the engine was fully warmed up , especially the first time . The second time was caused by debris from the disintegrating 2 nd gear.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

abogado68

The prognosis:

Crankshaft and crankset RIP.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I saw the V all torn apart yesterday and it wasn't pretty.

h2olawyer

:'(

Major bummer.  Hope you can get whatever you need to get it fixed soon.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

abogado68

Where can I find a rod, crankshaft and crankset?  ??? :'(

h2olawyer

I sold my spare engine.  Otherwise, I'd have offered it up.  Hopefully someone here has what you need.  Otherwise, you need to check ebay or other places for the stuff.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

There are automotive rod inserts that will fit the the vision rods then the crank can be reground . dminor knows which ones to use , and email to to him would get your answer.
Rick G

abogado68

Thank you and Muchas Gracias. I went to a place about 40 mi from Zamora called Sahuayo. Now Sahuayo is notoiusly known as the Bermuda Triangle of Mexico. Everythinga that is on the road to sahuayo, dissapears. In Sahuayo there is a huge gang of thieves that hijack trucks that haul electronics, clothes, engines etc. They do the robberies in tha backroads that the truck drivers use to go back and forth from the port of Manzanillo to Guadalajara and Mexico, City. So as you can tell, they haul millions of dollars worth of merchandise every day, which of course over 50% is stolen and stashed in the city of Sahuayo. There you can find eveything. Sahuayo is also known to be the home town of Francisco Sahugun Vaca. Chief of the now gone secret police of Mexico. This guy made sadam look like an angel compared to him. And as anyone can deduct he is the capo de tuti capi of the mob in Sahuayo. Well I found the whole crankset for the V in sahuayo this morning for $160 dls. The guy told me that they don't buy V's anymore becuas enobody wants the parts. But he said he can get anything for the V. I have found the motherlode guys. I will pick up the set on Monday and hopefully re assemble the V by the end of the week. I will keep you posted. Once again Thank you. :)

abogado68

Anyone has DMinor's e-mail, it appears as hidden on the members list? Thanks.

h2olawyer

Glad you found the parts - even if they may be a bit 'warm'.

If dminor's email address isn't posted, you can always use the forum's personal message system.

H2O

abogado68

Thank you fellow counsel.

Rick G

I should have it , I'll drop him a line and ask him to contact you.
Rick G