Carb leak down- overflow tube

Started by RBFD415, August 08, 2008, 10:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBFD415

As I stated in a previous post my just re-built carbs are pouring fuel out the overflow tubes. Upon closer inspection I can see now that the fuel bowl is completely draining down(EMPTY). It is not the needles or the seats or any of that, it is leaking directly out of the bottom of the bowls into the drains (and on the ground)!

Since I could not find any references to this problem on a search of the site- does anyone have an idea?

Thanks, Doug H

h2olawyer

Sounds like the drain seal screws might be leaking.  There could be some debris keeping the screws from seating properly or the screws / seats might be damaged.  That's all I can come up with at the moment.  Maybe others have had a similar experience, but this is a new one for me.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

There are two places it can leak from:

If the bolt/screw that goes into the hole (black here just to the right of the throttle plate) on the bottom of the carb is not tight, you can leak out fuel from here.

If the drain screw to the left of the brass bolt here is not seating properly, you can get a leak out the drain lines.  If the brass bolt is not properly seated, you can leak from the bolt area as well.
Note, I said seated, not tight. 
Check if there is fuel along the bottom of the carb near any of these places,  If the fuel is coming out of the drain lines, then the drain is not seating properly.

This is my guess without seeing your setup.  So, take this with a grain of salt.  If your carbs look different in some way, these photos are from 1983 carbs.  But I think the parts I'm showing are the same.

Brian

jasonm.

if it's draining out the hose. Then it is clearly a drain screw issue. The screw is steel. The carb body is aluminum. Steel wins every time. But rust from the gas tank and other tiny bits can mess this up.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules