News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

ENGINE RIP.

Started by abogado68, July 22, 2008, 04:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abogado68

jasonm.

I really think a possible reason for the V's loosing bearings is a simple one. The engine already has a permanent oil pressure relief valve . Keeping the pressure below ~65psi. BUT the oil filter also has a "bypass valve" that by-passes the filter in case filter gets clogged. But think about it...unfiltered oil going into the crank and rods immendiately. This also comes into play on start up on cold days...possibly? I do know the Fram filter uses a stiffer by-pass spring. But I have had Frams get crushed. Anyone had better luck with the Frams lately...no getting crushed?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

abogado68

I picked up the crankset this afternoon. I paid 140 dls. for it. The V ("La Colorada") will be ready by friday. ;D Still need info on D Minor.

Walt_M.

Aren't you at least moderately concerned about dealing with thieves?
Whale oil beef hooked!

sapienwaste

In some places dealing with thieves is standard operating procedure. You've been in a Radio Shack right?
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

abogado68

Yes I am, that's why I didn't buy the parts from thieves. The guy I bought the crankset buys salvage bikes in the USA and Mexico, and part them out. He is well known in finding old m/c parts for vintage bikes. He's been in the business for at least 30 years. I told the story about sahuayo, as general knowledge. As a city known for that type of business.

Here is another point of interest. The guy I bought the crankset from told me that the "V" were used by the traffic police in all the big cities in the central part of Mexico. The traffic police from Guadalajara, Morelia, Mexico City used Visions as their patrol units, then switched back to Harleys Sportsters. He aslo said that every now and then you can still see some Visions being used by the police in very small cities. They don't buy or hold stock parts for the Vision because it's barely being used nowadays. He knows his stuff. When I showed him the crankset he immediately told be it was for a Vision, before I told him what bike it belonged to.

Now regarding thieves, we deal with politicians all the time...arenĀ“t they the same?

abogado68

Picked up the V yesterday. She is back and running once again. Hopefully this saturday we will take a 500 mi run up to Zacatecas, if my back pain finally forgives me.

Here is a link to Zacatecas, hopefully you guys can take a peek and see how beautiful it is.

http://www.zacatecas.gob.mx/

Once on the web page go to TURISMO, then scroll down until you see GALERIA, click and enjoy the pics.

Have a beautiful day.

h2olawyer

Good to hear you're V is running again!   ;D

Nice link - the photos are beautiful.

When I was in law school in San Diego, I managed to get into Mexico a couple times.  However, I never got too far past the border, so I never really experienced Mexico the way I'd have liked.  I drove through Tijuana (as fast as legally possible) & stopped in Rosarita for a few hours of sightseeing along the coast & to down a few cervezas.  I know it used to be a popular place for the Hollywood crowd to visit in the 1950s.  My most vivid memory of the visit is sitting in a cantina watching a group of large girls dancing to YMCA.  Also, the Rosarita Beach Hotel was still pretty impressive - even though it was showing some signs of needing a little TLC.

I also made it to Algodones - a tiny border town at the CA / AZ border.  Kind of a nice place.  Very small and rustic.  The people I met there were quite friendly.  I had three years of Spanish language classes in high school (about 15 years before this visit) and tried my best to converse - with mixed results.  Got a few chuckles, but they seemed to appreciate that I was trying to make an effort to speak in their language.  Glad many of them spoke English, though.  My Spanish skills, by then, had diminished considerably.

Have a safe, fun trip - hope it isn't too hot!  Is that 500 miles each way - or 500 miles round trip?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

abogado68

It's round trip. My grandfather was the owner of Algodones. You should try to get to know Mexico. It's a beautiful country, rich in history and culture. I'm sure you would be quite surprised to see what Mexico really is. It's not Tijuana. Tijuana is Mexico made by tourist (American) who want to party hard and in most cases ilegally. No, Mexico is food, culture, history, warmth of the people, good drinks, basically a relaxed country. That is why so many Americans and Canadians have moved down. Chapala, Ajijic, San Miguel de Allende are basically Nort American cities, where Mexicans are a minority. We do have our share of problemas as does any other country. Our legal system is not perfect but it's a pretty damn good legal system, believe me, I'm an attorney and know both systems. The corruption is more what rumors have made out of it than what is true. Our medical system for the poor, housing projects for low income working class is booming. American companies such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot and now Lowes are opening warehouses left and right. I recently toured Jeld-Wen windows and doors managemente through the country looking for sightes. Pela windows are working strong and making up down here for lost revenue in the USA.

Maybe your next vacation will be in Mexico, real Mexico, I will be more than happy to show you around, and teach the secrets of good Tequila.

Salud.

h2olawyer

I know I never saw the real Mexico.  Was set for a summer trip down there after my Sr. year in high school.  Things fell through - can't exactly remember why.  I'd enjoy seeing your country - especially with a local guide.   ;D

Along with studying spanish, the class covered history, geography & culture of Mexico, Central & South America.  The teacher had friends and professional contacts in Mexico, Costa Rica and Ecuador.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Coil Coyle

Abogado,

I'm interested in two crankshaft assemblies, if you find them available please PM me here on the ROV.

Gratefully,
;)
Coil

abogado68

H2O LAWYER,

When you want to come down, You have a place to stay my friend. Mi casa es tu casa. More than happy to guide you around. I can promise, fun, laughter, relaxed time, history lessons, good food and of course tequila. Hopefully you will let my family and I have the honor to host you.

coilXZcoyle

I'll call the guy this weekend. More than happy.

abogado68

H2olawyer,

This is San Miguel de Allende, world heritage site.

http://www.travel-images.com/san-miguel-de-allende.html